Insteon Service Update???

Check here for the latest news on what is going on

Insteon Service Update???

Postby PhilB on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:25 am

I don't see any way to configure this so I guess it is not available yet? I just got a Insteon controller and am anxious to integrate it.

Wes?

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Re: Insteon Service Update???

Postby wesblack on Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:40 am

Phil,

All the services are ready. I wanted Steven to build them into the standard xLobby V3 installer and he needed more time to do that, so maybe this is not a good idea for users of V3 on the forum. So I will speak with him tomorrow about posting them seperately with instructions on how to use them until we can integrate them properly. :D

See this news post: http://xlobby.com/news/2008/11/17/xlobby-v3-services/

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby PhilB on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:22 am

I saw that news post (I read them all) and I am liking what I see. Can't wait to test it out.
PhilB

Postby PhilB on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:35 pm

Wes,

Any update on the Insteon Service being ready for testing?

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Postby wesblack on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:11 am

Phil,

The service has been in the last few releases. Located in "C:\programs\xlobby\services\lighting".

http://xlobby.com/news/2009/04/16/xlobb ... -uconnect/

I will post some setup details tomorrow. :)

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby PhilB on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:29 am

EDIT:
I installed HouseBot Trial to verify that my Insteon USB controller is working.....it is. I tried to use the XL service application but could not get it working. I suppose I am doing something wrong. It is set to use the Insteon USB and I added 1 known wokring X-10 control. Nothing in the log file at all. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I do see the Insteon Service but configuration help would be appricated so I can test.

I have a PowerLinc USB on my XL Server.

I have X-10 throughout the house that has been in place for some time now.

Hopefully, I can use the service to control those devices and any new Insteon I install as I phase out the X-10.

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Postby wesblack on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 pm

I am working on setup instructions and screenshots for you. Sorry for the delay.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby PhilB on Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 pm

I am still playing with this and got far enough that the service is on and connected to Xlobby but I can't get a command to go though and the Service Log is empty so I can't tell where it is breaking down. I get the event configuration, it is pretty simple to set up. Here are two screen shots of the config:

PhilB

Postby wesblack on Tue May 05, 2009 3:48 am

Phil,

Sorry I have left you in the dark, we are finishing the new xLobby demo room at Calrad and I was hoping to have the insteon lighting system setup and running by now so that I could capture some nice screenshots and create a how to video. The room is a work in progress and should be done in the next few weeks. I will post some pictures.

First off the Insteon ID address for the insteon products look incorrect, they should look something like 01:ac.04, usually the number is on the front of there light switches or printed on the device. The INSTEON protocol requires that there be a 2 way linking between the devices in order for the device to report its status to the PowerLinc adapter and the xLobby service.

I would delete all the devices and follow these steps.

1. Make sure the PLC is installed directly into the wall outlet with nothing else is plugged in, this is very important that the carrier signal over AC does not have any interference on the line when communicating with all the devices. If the setup process below fails, make sure that both the Insteon PLC and light switches are on the same Phase.

2. On the Insteon Service interface, click on start service

3. Click on the Add button and then select Enter Linking Mode.

4. xLobbys service overlay menu will appear to register the Insteon device.

5. Now goto a light switch, just under the switch is the linking button, press it in until the white L.E.D light starts flashing. The overlay menu should have recorded the insteon address for that light
switch, and the flashing will stop. If this was successful goto all switches that are left and do the same thing.

6. When finished, click the finish button on the overlay. You should now see the 3 insteon devices in the xLobby device list window. Select Update Device Status, you should see all the light switches in there current state.

7. Now select the first switch and next select edit to enter a name under the Device Name. Repeat this process until all switches have a name.

You can now turn each light on and off from the service individually or select All OIn or All Off.

Setting up the light switchs in the lighting menu in xLobby

1. Under the skin editor under Events there is a folder under event groups labeled Lighting, each event for a zone must match the name you selected under Device Name in the xLobby lighting service.

One more thing the next release of xLobby will connect to the lighting service automatically so there will be no need to set this up manually anymore. :D

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby PhilB on Tue May 05, 2009 4:12 pm

I see the issue. The PLC I have works with HouseBot (demo version for testing this outside of XL) so I know the PLC to PC comm is working.

The end devices are outlest and switches are X-10, not Insteon. Perhaps that is the reall issue?

I really dont like the X-10 hardware and replace them with Insteon hardware if they dont work with XL.

Please confirm this please.

Thanks,
PB
PhilB

Postby wesblack on Wed May 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Phil,

You need to get rid of the x10 and go all insteon, more reliable, full 2 way integration with xLobby. The more insteon devices you use the better the mesh network is for repeating signals, so much more reliable. Also there are so many cool devices to control with insteon.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby PhilB on Wed May 06, 2009 3:44 pm

FOR SALE.

Lots of X-10 hardware.
PhilB

Postby billberet on Wed May 06, 2009 6:29 pm

are you guys well versed in Insteon? I've been doing alot of reading and i'm trying to find out how to assign an x10 type address (a1,b2,c3) to the insteon dimmer. or if i can keep the insteon address and have homeseer send commands to it from my X10 PLM, if that's possible?
do i need a programmer, or can it be sent to the switch another way? I know this is probably not the right forum for this, but i figured i would ask since you guys are familiar with alot of product. i wanted to change my x10 dimmers to the insteon ones.

hey phil,
since you have x10 as well, do you have any dimmers with descrete bright and dim, not a one button toggle?
if so, what do you use. my wife is going to kill me with my current toggle one button dimmers.
billberet

Postby PhilB on Fri May 08, 2009 4:36 pm

I was acutally going the other direction. I had been using the old XL (pre-v3) with all X-10 but then with V3 I decided to buy an Insteon USB based controller.

I was thinking I could use that to send commands to the X-10 lighting controls I have around the house. I was able to test this using a trial version of the HouseBot software and it does work. The issue is that:

1 - Steven is not coding this to work in the Insteon Service
2 - This method is not 2-way so I agree Steve should not spend cycles on it.

I am waiting for a new Insteon lamp module I just bought to arrive to fully test the XLv3 Insteon Service. If that works, all my X-10 is coming out.

I dont use toggle dimmers but have used:

Screw In Lamp Modules
Wall Outlets
RF Control
Plug in Modules
Light Switches (dimmable) - This is acutally really nice. I have a hallway light that I can control both upstairs and downstairs using the stickon remote RF Control pads. It effectively makes a light controled like it was wired for this even though it was not.
Another nice feature of these is that I havfe a few on the same X-10 code and I can issue 1 command and turn on several lights at once. We call this our "emergency lighting.
PB
PhilB

Postby billberet on Mon May 11, 2009 2:09 am

do you remember which Light Switches you are/were using?

i want to replace mine so i have a rocker type switch with both bright and dim, not just one button that does both.
thanks
billberet

Next