SKINNING XLOBBY 3

xlobby docs (works in progress)

Postby Colby on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:58 am

I am always open for correction in spell'n and grammmmer. Sure. As far as writing a specific how-to, I started on it step by step before. It is a massive amount of writing and consideration. I dont have time. I am always waiting for others on this board to document beginners things. I mean heck Ive documented skin editor, and defined the event manager. I am not the Xlobby Historian, others could write what you are asking as well as I could.

Now on your videos thing. I would not create it so much like a movies database, but rather like a photos database. Thats how I did my homevideos screen. set up and use the import template to get the database built like you want. It isnt that complicated, it just feels like it.
Colby

Postby cooldog on Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Colby,

OK, I'll make it a clone of photos.

I can dope out the details by referring to the guides, and just by trial and error, but can you give me the broad strokes of this task?

I'm guessing that it goes something like this:

1) create "videos" database
2) specify import masks, etc.
3) clone the photos screen to "videos"
4) edit the screen to use the "videos" database
5) add a "Videos" button to the menu and hook it to the "Videos" screen

If I have all that right, can you tell me how to do #5 ???

The key to making a howto is to first select a task or two that are representative ... and to avoid trying to show how to do everything. As yo say, that is impossible with software that's so flexible.

Thanks,
Paul
cooldog

Postby Colby on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:40 pm

This topic is about my skinning document, your request now should be in support.
Colby

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:52 pm

I think HOWTOs are very good idea... pretty near what Tips and Tricks section is all about actually, but mayby Tips and tricks should be kept bit more advanced than beginner HOWTOs... mayby there is need for HOWTO forum (or mayby it could be subforum to documents), besides already wanted DEV forum.

Now, im personally not a good writer, so ill be doing what i do best, which is coding plugins, and I think Colbys time is best spent in skinning, but im sure theres many XLobby users who could contribute little of their time for common good of the community...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Broken link

Postby mph070770 on Wed May 23, 2007 6:08 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand how skinning works and how screens are linked to one another. However, the skinning guide appears to be broken.

http://xlobby.incolby.com/SkinningXlobbya40.2.htm

Am I missing something?

Thanks
mph070770

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed May 23, 2007 7:06 pm

You can find a .pdf version here:
http://mayhem.prod.googlepages.com/even ... ledocument

Look down towards the bottom of the links. I've collected some other documents and posts that I've found useful since the start of my Xlobby adventure.

I think its the same as Jawaldo's .pdf document linked on page 1 of this forum post. Check it out regardless.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby mph070770 on Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 pm

Thanks Marbles - much appreciated!
mph070770

Re: SKINNING XLOBBY 3

Postby CaM on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi, thanks very much for the V3 document :)

CaM
CaM

Previous