Jowaldo's Skin - Beta 2.1 - UPDATED for resource manager

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Jowaldo's Skin - Beta 2.1 - UPDATED for resource manager

Postby jowaldo on Sun May 23, 2004 10:09 pm

Edit - here is an updated link to my skin that is made to work with the resource manager
http://members.cox.net/xlobby/jowaldo-beta3test.zip

Well its been quite a while since I posted the first copy of my skin. I haven't had near as much time to work on it as I thought I would, but I finally feel comfortable posting the newer version of it.

The main thing I was unhappy about with the first beta was that all the text buttons had the text embedded into the image. Now with the new outline feature (as you can see I use a lot) for text, now no buttons have text embedded on them, but I kept the same look as before. Even the orange buttons on the main screen don't have the little icons on the left of them attached. They just are basically sitting on top of the buttons.

Also I had quite a few images for backgrounds, but that left very little flexibility in the skin. So now with the non-rounded egde (or "normal rectangles") none of the screens have images for the backgrounds. They are all made of resizeable shapes so its super easy to customize. Even the popup overlays are 100% made of shapes.

I also made quite a few new buttons... too many to list. ;)

Most of the ppc screens are pretty much finished. There are a few little tweaks still needed for some of them.

A new big section is the "control" pages, for controlling devices with the usb-uirt, or girder, or whatever you want. There are also similar pages for the ppc. Just click on the remote icon at the bottom of the main screen to get to them.

Autoplay screens are also included for cd and dvd, but you will need to go into the setup screen and associate the pages with the autoplay event.

The weather screen have been updated to use the new weather plugin, and the images for it need to be downloaded separately and unzipped to the /plugins/xweather/images folder. You can download the ones I use here if you want:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/5215175/

I made a real basic games screen and a waaaay more basic music videos screen, which is still kind of a work in progress.

Oh and for 16x9 users this skin may take a bit of tweaking since I haven't tested it much for those resolutions. For the next beta hopefully I will fix all the tags on the background shapes so they strech accordingly.

I'm sure I forgot to mention a few other things, but here it is, please let me know of any bugs or things I could do to improve it, or just anything you like about it.

http://members.cox.net/xlobby/jowaldobeta2.zip

Also please post any requests you may still have :)[/b]
Last edited by jowaldo on Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Sun May 23, 2004 10:25 pm

Sorry the link probably wasn't working before... it should be ok now.

Also I remembered one thing.. the now playing screen. On any of the music pages, click on the cover of the currently playing album to jump to the page.
jowaldo

Postby Roscoe62 on Mon May 24, 2004 12:34 am

Thanks Jowaldo!

Ever since first seeing those tantalising PPC screens in a post a while ago I've been patiently waiting for this release. I will be downloading it tonight to play with!

Cheers
Roscoe
Roscoe62

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 24, 2004 12:56 am

Please give me as much feedback as possible with the ppc screens. I haven't had anyone else test the ppc part much.

Check out the ppcweather and 5 day forecast, plus the ppccontrol screens. I hope you'll like them.
jowaldo

Postby AirPost on Mon May 24, 2004 7:45 am

Jowaldo,

The link over at the xlobby skins download is set to the address below:

http://http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1525

which is why you get a Page Cannot Be Found error message. You might want to change that link. :wink:
AirPost

Postby Roscoe62 on Mon May 24, 2004 8:01 am

Hi Jowaldo,

The first thing I noticed is the poor image quality on the PPC. I think Steven might have adjusted the settings somewhere because I've noticed this on other skins recently too, so not a problem with your skin per se but your excellent images take a hammering because of this low quality setting.

Once I'd selected mimic I went into the music menu. There are 3 "modes" to choose from - play, open or queue. If I select open on the server and then choose an album, the album track listing is displayed and then XLobby dies. If I select open on the client and select an album, the track listing appears but I can't seem to select anything except the overlay options at the top. If I select anything else the client seems to freeze.

Also, sometimes when I have the PPC client enabled and move the mouse or click on the keyboard the XLobby server dies, but this is quite intermittent.

I also notice that, while in the PPC music screen, if I push the "abc" button, the PPC client freezes and I have to reset it. I did open the skin editor to see what that button does and the event overlay:ppcmoviefilters was set up. I thought that might be an error so I tried to change it to overlay: ppcmusicfilters (or whatever the eventname is) but that didn't make a difference - when pressing the button on the PPC it still froze.

The only other thing I noticed is that if I kill the PPC client for whatever reason, it kills the server as well.

Now, one thing that might be worth mentioning is that I am using XLobby 40.2 pre 14, NOT 17. I don't know whether this makes a difference or not. I currently can't use 17 because it has a bug that doesn't allow me to use Theatertek.

Let me know whether you need me to use pre 17, and I'll try again.

Cheers
Roscoe
Roscoe62

Postby pika on Mon May 24, 2004 12:40 pm

Hi Jowaldo,

Your skin is beautiful, sometimes too informations but very complete.

For a french website about xlobby, we translate original skin into french and I want to know if it's possible to do it with this skin

Thanks
pika

Postby archerkit on Mon May 24, 2004 1:32 pm

Thanks for posting your updated skin!! If only work didn't get in the way of fun stuff. I'll try it out tonight! :D
archerkit

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 24, 2004 3:39 pm

Thanks for all the replies...

Roscoe: yeah about the ppc stuff, I need to fix a few things in it, but it used to work much better, but in the last few builds its gotten real flaky, and it freezes a lot. Also steven did lower the image quality setting on some recent build, but he said he'd change it back, or make it a setting people could choose themselves.
jowaldo

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 24, 2004 5:41 pm

AirPost wrote:Jowaldo,

The link over at the xlobby skins download is set to the address below:

http://http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1525

which is why you get a Page Cannot Be Found error message. You might want to change that link. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up... its fixed now. :)

Pika: Thanks for the complements. I know that my skin has too much on certain pages, and that not everyone will use every button on every page, but I did it that way because it is much easier to delete buttons they don't want, then to add ones that aren't there. Especially for people just looking at xlobby for the first time.

If you want to post a french version of it, that is totally fine with me.. feel free to do whatever you want with it.

As long as people aren't makin money off the skin feel free to use it as you want. :)
jowaldo

Postby Cosworth on Mon May 24, 2004 5:43 pm

First impressions of the PPC screens:

Great job - Very good looking!

I don't have any of Roscoe's problems with server crashes etc. Running on pre 17 and Pocketwindows 2003.

Weather screen works like a charm - Does it auto update or is there a refresh button missing?

Music screen works well, with some minor usability issues e.g.
a) Filter won't reset the quickview screen.
b) music filter start with movies as the default list
c) no scrolling in the filtered list.
d) I'm also missing a quick way to reset the playlist.
e) How do I load a m3u playlist (for internetradio)?

Some of these may be a personal preference question.

Still - great job, and very inspiring!
Cosworth

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 24, 2004 6:02 pm

A,B,C,D are all one I'll need to look into... I personally don't use the filters much so I haven't spent much time on them.

E: When you are on the music playlist screen (click the tab at the top of any of the music screens, then click playlist) on the top left hand corner of that screen there is a m3u button... click that and that should work.
jowaldo

'add' text missing on button?

Postby archerkit on Mon May 24, 2004 6:03 pm

Just loaded it up. Looks great, can't wait to start playing with the X10 stuff.

The only thing I noticed is that the "Add" button doesn't seem to have any text on it.

This is a fresh extraction of pre14 + pre17 .exe and the skin..

Is it just me?
archerkit

Re: 'add' text missing on button?

Postby jowaldo on Mon May 24, 2004 6:10 pm

archerkit wrote:Just loaded it up. Looks great, can't wait to start playing with the X10 stuff.

The only thing I noticed is that the "Add" button doesn't seem to have any text on it.

This is a fresh extraction of pre14 + pre17 .exe and the skin..

Is it just me?

The add button on which page?
jowaldo

Postby archerkit on Mon May 24, 2004 6:31 pm

Ooops, I shoulda mentioned that. It's on the music page - regardless of the view (Quick/Albums/Playlists) the add button is displayed and functional, but no "Add" text.
archerkit

Next