HTPC Problem No2

Help each other out

HTPC Problem No2

Postby Grooby on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi

Ok, so my main HTPC (Vista) has been down for quite some time and have finally got round to replacing the power supply as previous one had tested faulty.

The problem i have now is when i power down it only stays off for 2 seconds then powers back up all on its own. I hibernate, it starts up, i sleep, it starts up...it just wont ruddy stay off!!

I have disabled every item that has an auto turn on facility in Vista and BIOS but with no luck...have i now got a buggered mother board or yet another faulty power supply?

I have tried to flash bios but it wont work...

Thanks for any help
Andy (hates PC's!!!)
Grooby

Re: HTPC Problem No2

Postby scottw on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:30 pm

Andy,

Did you try selecting to power it down and then unplug the keyboard and mouse....maybe something is stuck and causing it to wake back up. I see you said you tried powering it down so that would probably only be a possible cause if it was in standby or hibernate. If you pull the power plug and then plug it back in does it automatically turn back on?

I agree computers suck when these kind of thing happen...but we would not have all of these cool toys without them. I never had one computer when I was growing up...now we have 6 in a house of 3 people (4 of which are mine :lol: )

Let me know what happens.
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:29 am

Per chance is it a USB keyboard/mouse? If you have a PS2 connections, and you still have that style of keyboard/mouse, try those. Sometimes the USB will wake the system...even from a power down state. I know you mention you've gone through the BIOS and Windoz settings, but hey...anything helps.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:36 am

Marbles_00 wrote:Per chance is it a USB keyboard/mouse? If you have a PS2 connections, and you still have that style of keyboard/mouse, try those. Sometimes the USB will wake the system...even from a power down state. I know you mention you've gone through the BIOS and Windoz settings, but hey...anything helps.

No surefire way to test then to pull the plugs yourself :lol: :lol:
scottw

Postby BaddaBing on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:28 am

Is the BIOS or network card set to Wake on LAN? If so, anytime another machine on the network sends out a request your machine will start up.
BaddaBing

Postby Grooby on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for all the suggestions...problem is now solved...after much research on the net ended up on AVS and read through the forum on my board and found a guy who had same problem, his solution was to update his LAN driver, this i did and you know what, i'm looking at a HTPC that has turned off and stayed off...woo hoo :D

Must have corrupted the LAN driver, dunno how, but...who cares!

Whew
Andy...now back to skinning!!
Grooby

Postby BaddaBing on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:46 am

Told ya it was the LAN... 8)
BaddaBing