Satellite vs Cable? DISH vs DirectTV?

Speak your mind

Satellite vs Cable? DISH vs DirectTV?

Postby y2kdeuce on Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:42 am

I recently bought a 'lake house' and cable tv is not an option. I've always had cable. Now that I am, to some extent, being forced to try Satellite, I'm considering making a complete switch over to Satellite, leaving cable behind.

Anyone here have an opinion to share on Satellite vs Cable, or which Satellite provider is better?

Thanks in advance,

John
y2kdeuce

Postby lpg on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:55 am

Do you have a clear shot of the southern sky? Any trees in the way if so it could impact the signal. I have had Direct tv for many years and it does an ok job. I have heard others talk up dish net since it gives you the equiptment.

One thing you can do is to tell the Direct TV sales rep you are thinking of switching from cable. Ask what kind of deal he could do to entice you to move. If you don't get a good answer ask for a customer retention rep.

Larry
lpg

Postby Colby on Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:16 pm

I have had all three and must say I prefer Cable to dish or direct tv. Dish Network has the most "bang for the buck" (DVRs, RF remotes, Multiroom, channel lineup.) Direct Tv had lots of hidden costs and upgrading was expensive. Not to mention terrible customer service IMHO. I called for help and got a different answer 3 times. All of which wanted me to spend $100 for a service call to fix their equipment. Cable is most reliable and "more responsive" but if you must go with Sat, I say go with Direct TV and get as many rooms and deals as you can. Introductory offers are always cheaper than upgrading. I think Dish Network has the most HD channels too. Good luck. :D
Colby

Postby samgreco on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:36 pm

And if it matters to you, DirecTV has stated that they will have a Windows Vista recording option upcoming. I know I'm watching that closely.

It's probably at least a half year away, but if you're going to commit to a year or more to get the introductory deals, it might be a factor.
samgreco

Postby fredw on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:53 pm

i'd go directtv, i've had all three dishnetwork was great, but dircttv has really changed. i originally bought my dvr unit and 2 regular boxes, after a year my dvr box went, even though i bought it they replaced it fr free plus installed a 8 way switch nd a second dvr unt. whole trip only ran me 20 bucks plus 5 bucks a month extra for the dvr.

fred :lol:
fredw

Postby cygnusaa on Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:11 am

i use directv and i am extremely happy with it. customer service is excellent (contrary to what i have read), the equipment works great (although we cant noodle with it but i can live with that), the installer that i got was completely professional and i havent seen any issues with price or cost.

i did switch to cable for 2 months last year to see if cablevision (which provides the "optimum" product) has cleaned up their act and i was sorry i did. they great thing is when i called back directv i got customer retention and this is what i wound up with:

hd box
new dish with triple lnb (necessary for hd)
reg box for sd in another room

total choice package (mid one) at $41.99 (for a year), hbo for $12 (free for a year), hd package free for a year, direct ticket $250 (i think, i was already subscriber), and they threw in the hd add-on for direct ticket for free....

i paid nothing for this, nor did i have to beg and plead, the tech showed up on-time, took old crap down, installed new dish professionally (i have roof access and was pleased to see how solidly it was attached), did the usual set up and cleaned up after himself.

i was blown away

for comparison, when i moved here, the cable guy dragged a dusty, dirty used box out of his beat up mini-van from a pile of junk on the floor, scrounged for a power cable, manual and batteries. slapped the box on top of my entertainment center and did his thing...i was going to refuse the install but who has the time...that event alone sealed it for me, i knew they hadnt changed but i figured id give it a shot...

the installer said i must use component cables for better picture rather than the DVI (!!!) port to my HD-LCD. lol anyway, the box and remote were so slow when surfing that it drove me out of my mind, im talking like 5 seconds between channels (yes everything appeared to be functioning as intended, a call to customer service resulted in "well hey thats how it works", the picture quality in HD was great of course but SD was terrible.....say what you will, but SD picture quality on directv is pretty good comparatively...to make a long story short i was happy to shit-can cablevision (especially since they double billed me for the next 4 months, 2 of which i was no longer a customer for tv)....

i do use cablevision for their optimum online cable broadband....i wont part with that as it is wicked fast and 100% reliable....

so for my two peanuts...im happy with directv overall..i would give them a solid 8 out of 10...

only complaints would be the inability to incorporate their equipment into my setup (xlobby wise) and the fact that their hd-tivo devices are very expensive ( and couldnt take stuff off their drive anyway)

hope this helps

cyg
cygnusaa