7th Pre-Release Ready

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Re: 7th Pre-Release Ready

Postby dalanik on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:43 am

Could it be an event assigned to screen open?
dalanik

Postby thekochs on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:34 pm

dalanik wrote:Could it be an event assigned to screen open?

So, one thing to clear up...I guess there is two kinda "starup" screens. There is what I cal the "boot" screen that displays XL while it is loading then the startup screen which is typically your main menu screen. When this Menu/Starup screen opens/loads the startup.wav file in the sounds directory under that skin plays. As I stated, there is nothing in the startup (under Skin in Events) that denotes some type of sound play. As for your question/thought, while in this menu/startup screen I went into Skin Editor (pause/break) and went to Screen tab. I looked at the event assignment for startup and it says no event assigned. Is this what you are referring to ?
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Sorry I haven't responded on this from what my setup shows. I've been swamped this week and will be out of town all next week (YEA VACATION!) I know on mine, there is a "startup" event group under SKIN that says something on the lines of play audio but no settings to change. It might be hardcoded that xLobby looks for specific wave files in the sounds directory and will use them. Startup, Click, etc. Other's could be assigned. If you want to change the sound played at startup, then you can simply over-write the included file.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:48 pm

cmhardwick wrote:Sorry I haven't responded on this from what my setup shows. I've been swamped this week and will be out of town all next week (YEA VACATION!) I know on mine, there is a "startup" event group under SKIN that says something on the lines of play audio but no settings to change. It might be hardcoded that xLobby looks for specific wave files in the sounds directory and will use them. Startup, Click, etc. Other's could be assigned. If you want to change the sound played at startup, then you can simply over-write the included file.

Agreed....was more curious since I'm trying to understand Events why I can not find the playback for this sound event. For XL PL 7 the default skin install for me at least has no lines referring to what appears in any way audio. The only entries are........
at startup toggle > album open
set view text > save to variable

Nothing urgent but next time you are in XL can you confirm what the event commands you see in the startup ? Thx.
thekochs

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:19 pm

Sounds are usually not generated via events through Setup/events. The following is via Freelobby, but I'm assuming that the "pre"'s are almost the same.

If you open the skin editor, and click on the "Sound" tab, you will see a list of sound resources. These are the sound files associated with the skin. If you click on "Customize", this will open up an window where you can add additional sounds for either entering a screen (Enter), or clicking on a button (Click). You can add additional sound resources to the "sound" directory found in most skins. I think the original free xlobby had three sound files associated to the default skin. In the later pre-releases, obviously Steven has added more.

Hope this helps.

*UPDATE*
Almost forgot, in the free version under F2/Setup/Misc, there was a check box to use button sounds that must be checked. Also you had to associate the sound to a button, by clicking on the particular button, and then highlighting the sound to associate to it. Most likely something the same for screens that Steven included in the pre-releases.
Marbles_00

Postby thekochs on Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:41 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:Sounds are usually not generated via events through Setup/events. The following is via Freelobby, but I'm assuming that the "pre"'s are almost the same.

If you open the skin editor, and click on the "Sound" tab, you will see a list of sound resources. These are the sound files associated with the skin. If you click on "Customize", this will open up an window where you can add additional sounds for either entering a screen (Enter), or clicking on a button (Click). You can add additional sound resources to the "sound" directory found in most skins. I think the original free xlobby had three sound files associated to the default skin. In the later pre-releases, obviously Steven has added more.

Hope this helps.

*UPDATE*
Almost forgot, in the free version under F2/Setup/Misc, there was a check box to use button sounds that must be checked. Also you had to associate the sound to a button, by clicking on the particular button, and then highlighting the sound to associate to it. Most likely something the same for screens that Steven included in the pre-releases.

Thanks for the insight....this all makes sense. However, after looking at XL PL 7 under default skin I'm even more puzzled. In skin editor>sound tab while in Main Menu screen there is only "click" as sound showing in resources. Funny thing is that "click" is not in this default skin's sound directory...only navigation, enter, startup, startup2. The sounds played during button press are the navigation.wav. Also, for this menu screen there is not startup event selected which would be tied to perhaps a sound.....like startup.wav. So, my question is......where the heck is the startup.wav getting launched from in the Main Menu boot ? Is this hardcoded and not a definable event ?
thekochs

USING OFFLINE EVENTS WITH INTERNAL MEDIAPLAYER

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:26 pm

I can't seem to get the online/offline movies events to work in pre7. I want to create a offline event to control my Sony DVP-CX777ES DVD Megachanger while still using the media player within xl pre7 for online movies.

Questions:
1) In xl setup>file types: What program do I use?
2) Do I still use the ifo,avi,iso,img,video_ts,vob string in the extentions field?
3) What command lines should be used?
4) Category remians "movies"?
5) The offline event should be my click_event.bat (i.e.: c:\777\sony_cx777es.exe COM%1 36 %2 0 0 1) which will control my DVD changer via a RS232 connection?
6) Do I need a start and end event?

Thank you for any direction on this guys!!
sharp_1

Postby thekochs on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:31 pm

when is the next pre-release ?
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:30 pm

from what I've read, there won't be another one until V3 is ready.
cmhardwick

Postby thekochs on Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:57 am

cmhardwick wrote:from what I've read, there won't be another one until V3 is ready.

Ahhh......understandable....I recall V3 Beta by end of year ? Until then I can keep coming up to speed on Skins, Events, etc. :D
thekochs

Postby lpg on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:44 am

thekochs wrote:
cmhardwick wrote:from what I've read, there won't be another one until V3 is ready.

Ahhh......understandable....I recall V3 Beta by end of year ? Until then I can keep coming up to speed on Skins, Events, etc. :D

Just keep in mind that it looks like v3 will have a new skin editor and I am hoping for a stronger api.
lpg

Postby thekochs on Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:24 pm

lpg wrote:
thekochs wrote:

Just keep in mind that it looks like v3 will have a new skin editor and I am hoping for a stronger api.

Hmmmmmm......how compatible will the V2-7PL databases and skins be with V3 then ? Can I use my customized skin in V3 ?......I love new flexible things but hope there is backward compatiblity. Any insights ?
thekochs

XML Import By Profiler Problem

Postby thekochs on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:17 pm

Well, looking at all my Movies I noticed the plots were wrong. Some had wrong info, some info not the same as in Profiler, some even info from CDs...not movies. Example, Mission Impossible II was blank on plot......another had info on Mariah Carey....geeze. I went into Profiler and checked my export XML file (collection.xml). I checked in XL and it points to that file. In F2 I delete the DB and re-import and it shows all items (qty. correct) coming in. However, if I go to DB Editor for Movies and say MI-2 there is no field for plot. In Profiler the field is OVERVIEW anyway. I start looking at the different movies and the fields are all over the map in what is there and what isn't. In Profiler I DO export ALL. I assume it is some import issue I have in XL of fields.

UPDATE#1: It seems to center around moves where my folder name has a dash "-". As you know, XL is funny about having exact name of folder name to XML name to link...understandably. All these are set correct for me for coverart but I never noticed (still in debug) the metadata info was off.
UPDATE#2: I do notice in F2 Media Tab when I hit delete DB and then import it brings/searches for all movies and seems to bring in...but the last message is DVD Profiler Movies: 0. Is this an import issue ? I'm pointing to collection.xml which is exported directly from Profiler 3. I've had alot of this data in here from previous builds so can't be sure what is new and what is old...only that some are blank and some are not accurate.
UPDATE#3: Well, I went into spiders and see if I could update there.....example Alien & Aliens. Alein updated fine...Aliens had some wild data. Anyway, I hit refresh and the import bar showed 2 profiler movies imported. So, I think step one is trying to blow away my database and re-import. However, when I try Delete DB or Refresh the cover art goes away, the import bar shows all movies coming in....but the message Proilfer zero movies. Somehow I don't think I'm getting the data in or there is some conflict in not deleting the database and thus not overwriting.
UPDATE#4: Well I went in XL program files and under database deleted the movies.xml. I then went back into XL and setup a new import.....I saw Profilers come in !!!! Yeah. But for some reason I cannot repeat the process....sound crazy but if I do this again....back to the same old problem. Ugh. So, for sure my Profiler info/fields are not coming in. This is a Profiler 3.1.1 export to collection.xml in C:\ pointed to within XL DB Import tab XML browse path.
UPDATE#5: Things seem really mucked up....it appears even though I delete the movies.xml that a bad/none import of Profiler xml provides the previous bad info ? how can that be ?....I would expect there to be nothing.....is there some other XML to purge ?

SOLVED: Well, the above #5 Update got me thinking. I found that in each of my movie folders (eg. D\{movie name}\) there was a XML called item.xml. So, even though I was deleting the movie.xml in the XL Program Files database subdirectory clearly each of the item.xml files was over-riding any other info. I can't be sure but I think that the existance of these item.xml files messes up or over-rides the Profiler import. It's hard to tell since the message from the F2 import ALWAYS says "Profiler Movies Imported: 0"....even when successful. I recall these item.xml files showing up when I started playing with the DB editor....probably the Spider section. I'm guessing the information download from Spider trials created this item.xml. The problem is that this either blocks and/or overrides the Profiler import. Since the Spider info isn't ready for Prime Time, I wanted/will stay with DVD Profiler. So, once I deleted the Movies.xml in the XL Program Files Database subdirectory and all the Item.xml files in my movies directories and then I did a re-import all the info came in properly. Hope this helps someone else.
Last edited by thekochs on Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 10 times in total.
thekochs

Postby Jay on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:32 pm

And 'plot' was in your originals? I did add 'plot' to a lot of my movies via dbs>movies>edit. In many cases, they were not on the original DVDs. So, I added plot info which shows up on my overlay.
Jay

Postby thekochs on Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:47 pm

Jay wrote:And 'plot' was in your originals? I did add 'plot' to a lot of my movies via dbs>movies>edit. In many cases, they were not on the original DVDs. So, I added plot info which shows up on my overlay.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in my origionals" ? I'm exporting from DVD Profiler v3.1.1 and the field oveview is mapped to plot in XL.
thekochs

PreviousNext