xDatabase

Xlobby plugin development

Re: xDatabase

Postby S Pittaway on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:19 pm

there is nothing wrong with being thick... :)

this should help,
thicky.zip
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 634 times

its not a cat in the normal sense, instead you map your own "text boxes" onto the category and display them where ever you want.

I use a single entry cat for the "big" photo and let that handle drill downs/scrolling etc.

I have it set so if you click on one of the other photos it jumps to it (i use xDatabase to move the required number of items).

You also do nice "cover wall" types screens in the same way -
Image1.jpg
Last edited by S Pittaway on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S Pittaway

Postby scottw on Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Will try, thanks.

PS. Love the name of the file :lol:
scottw

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Pretty cool. I just did a quick example using a Mirage menu database (all I have at work). Gees, just when I was almost ready to put out a new rev of the Mirage skin...now, should I wait and incorporate this plugin with the skin, or submit what I have done so far and then rev it once I have incoroporated this plugin entirely? Gees Pitt, you didn't make my life any easier.

Here is a screen clip with the skin editor open:
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Yeah it works great for me too with one problem :(

It does not work with the thin client :( :( :(

I can see the first picture and clicking the next picture on the thin client will "rotate" to the next pic on the server but not the thin client.
scottw

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:51 pm

Marbles,

i dont think you need to include the plugin. The rotate stuff is built into the last free version. The only useful bit in xdatabase is the "database jump" routine (let them click on the menu items to select/action them)...

the xcache stuff is probably no use to other people - it wastes a load of space (you end up with several copies of you coverart), i knocked it up for my self and thought i would stick it in in case anyone else wants it.

Anyway, feel free to bundle it up, but it probably makes (xxx does not work) posts easier to answer :)

*edit* i was just thinking, if i add refections to the generated images you could make a pretty good "static" version of the apple coverflow... :)
S Pittaway

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:26 pm

i was just thinking, if i add refections to the generated images you could make a pretty good "static" version of the apple coverflow...

If you could do that, I would pleasently modify my whole skin structure to accomadate. It would keep to the name "Mirage" then. :D
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:30 pm

scottw wrote:Yeah it works great for me too with one problem :(

It does not work with the thin client :( :( :(

I can see the first picture and clicking the next picture on the thin client will "rotate" to the next pic on the server but not the thin client.

If I use a "category-Next Item" event it works on the thin client :D

The downfall to this is I could only click on the next or previous item in a category to "rotate" the flow, which will still work for me. I may just use this for pictures but for something like Marbles setup it may not work right, on the thin client, if you wanted to click say the 3rd item away from the select item.

Still really cool.

Thanks Sean!!!!
scottw

Postby dalanik on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:46 pm

One problem I bumped into with this "flow" view is that it crashes if you want to use "back" option, to return from subfolders (on FreeLobby)...

D.
dalanik

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:41 am

thats still the same on the pay version... ill go bump it again
S Pittaway

Postby CiXel on Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:18 pm

To help facilitate a flat file structure, I'd like to add an ALL field and populate it with ALL so I can do a custom search of ALL for ALL ;)

If I do a:
database add to all
with a paramter of
movies>all>all
(or something to that effect)

The database writing falls into an infinite loop and never finishes (if I keep refreshing the DB directory I can see the size go from 0 to 2000 and then cycle its way back through.)

Is there a better way to globally (within a category) create a new field with a pre-defined value? Perhaps during the add extra tags generation?
CiXel

Postby S Pittaway on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:32 am

I think there is a bug in the movie db save code, i have metioned in the bug section - everytime you save a variable it instatly flustchg to disk (and all those item.xmlfiles...) it takes ages...

anyway, i did have a xdb.all entry in there a while ago, it lloks like i have takken it out.

hall i add it back in? would it be more usefull to replicate the type field? or shall i simply set it to "some text"?
S Pittaway

Postby CiXel on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:58 pm

S Pittaway wrote:I think there is a bug in the movie db save code, i have metioned in the bug section - everytime you save a variable it instatly flustchg to disk (and all those item.xmlfiles...) it takes ages...
anyway, i did have a xdb.all entry in there a while ago, it lloks like i have takken it out.
hall i add it back in? would it be more usefull to replicate the type field? or shall i simply set it to "some text"?

No worries about the bug. At least I know it's not me.

If you add back the xdb,all set to "All", that would enable flattening the DB, unless there is some built in xLobby way that I haven't been able to find. So I would say add it back. I don't seem to have a type field (beyond the one I defined with a metamask) to replicate, but think this might be better in the separate container for this purpose.
CiXel

Postby S Pittaway on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:56 pm

when i talk about a bug in the save code i dont mean there is a bug in MY code... (my stuff never has bugs in it ;))

i meen there is a bug in xlobys save movies code.

Feel free to mention it in the bugs sectiobns and i will chip in.
S Pittaway

Postby CiXel on Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:54 pm

CiXel

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:34 am

Updated

21 Apr 2008 - added ini file option - General - Add All Entry this will add a tag called "xdb.all" to each item in the db.
21 Apr 2008 - added ini file option - General - Add All Entry Value, if this is blank it xdb.all is set to the "type" field, if not this text is used.
21 Apr 2008 - If your copy of xlobby supports it the find functions will now use the "xlobby:category:search forward".
S Pittaway

PreviousNext