Elk M1 Home Security/Automation Plugin

Xlobby plugin development

Elk M1 Home Security/Automation Plugin

Postby loch on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:36 pm

I have created a plugin for the ELK M1 Home Security/Automation system. The ELK M1 is a hardware controller which provides the features of an alarm system as well as provides the ability to control outputs, thermostats and lighting. More information on the system can be found at:
http://www.elkproducts.com/

The plugin can be downloaded from here:
http://www.xlobby.com/files/loch/files/xelk.rel1.1.zip

Latest documentation is here:
http://www.xlobby.com/files/loch/files/ELKM1Plugin.doc

My skin based on the Heavy Metal Series is here:
http://www.xlobby.com/files/loch/files/lochSkin.zip
Note that this skin has not been cleaned up and is probably not the best example of a skin. I put it out there as an example. On my system I created ELK events in the main eventgroups folder instead of the skin, probably not the best idea. My main eventgroups folder is included in the above zip file.

This plugin connects to the unit via a serial connection. It allows for querying the system for current status as well as controlling it.

The plugin allows the user to query:
- Alarm status
- Zone status
- Output status
- Thermostat settings
- Temperature probe readings
- Lighting status

And allows you to:
- Arm/Disarm the system
- Turn outputs on/off
- Run tasks
- Control thermostat
- Turn on/off lighting

Here are some screen shots with my modifications to Baddabing’s HeavyMetal Series skin. Excuse the poor graphics; I obviously have some work to do here.

Thanks.
Andrew
Last edited by loch on Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
loch

Postby hvs69 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:09 pm

Very good.

I am thinking of buying Elk M1 Gold system in the near future, especially since it now supports Insteon.

However, I will be not be connecting it to my HTPC which runs Xlobby. From your description it sounds like you need the Elk panel connected to the same PC that is running Xlobby. Am I right ?
hvs69

Postby loch on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:44 pm

That is correct, the Elk panel would need to be connected to the same PC that is running Xlobby.
loch

Postby smarty on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:54 pm

I think you will find there is A BUNCH of interest with Elk and this plug-in.

My "user" X-Lobby computer won't be serially connected to the elk :( , but I have a STUPID NEWBIE question to ask:

Presently I control Winamp on my server computer (where Xlobby is running minimized) via "X-NET Server" with my tablet PC (which also running Xlobby). This works FLAWLESSLY.

Is it possible to get any of the benfits of this plug-in via X-NET? I can connect my server serially to the Elk M1, but not my tablet PC. Comments?
smarty

Postby smarty on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:05 pm

Andrew,
After thinking about this more last night, I believe there MIGHT be a way to indirectly use this plugin via PowerHome. Let me explain my thoughts (have not tried it yet).

In the utility closet, I will have a "server" computer hooked serially to the ELK. This computer will be running PowerHome and Xlobby (this Xlobby machine should work with your ELK plugin). In my living area, I have a wireless tablet PC (running Xlobby, non-served).

By enabling the PowerHome "Socket Server - S.S." and the running the Distributed Client Control (DCC) program on the tablet PC, PowerHome data can be sent between PH and the tablet PC (part of the communication).

The rest of the communication comes from Xlobby Events. These can be set up to run PowerHome Macros or Formulas (using the PH S.S.) Therefore, the Xlobby running on the server can tell PH what the ELK is seeing. Then, P.H. can tell the same information to the tablet PC.

I would love to get a copy of your plugin. I can't help you with the hosting though. Public e-mail is mailto:gymfolks@hotmail.com

Steve
smarty

Postby loch on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:25 pm

I am pretty new to Xlobby myself and have not used fat clients so I am not sure I have the correct answers to your questions.

I do not believe you will be able to monitor/control ELK from the fat client. I am also not familiar with PowerHome so I can't really help there.

Probably the best solution would be for me to support the ELK Ethernet module. That would allow you to run the plugin on the fat client. I do not have an ELK Ethernet module so I can not easily add support for it.

I do know that running a thin client will work. I have a pocket PC running the thin client and use it to control and monitor the sytem. It works great. It's nice to be able to walk around the house and see me trip the alarm zones on the pocketPC. It's also nice to go outside with the pocketPC and be able to turn on/off sprinklers to make sure they are working properly.

I will email the plugin to you.

Andrew
loch

Postby smarty on Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:07 am

With some pointers from Electron over at CT, I have been able to confirm that this plugin will work over ethernet (using an M1XEP).

To make it work, you first must set up the Elk M1XEP module to enable port 2101 (using Elk Rp software). Then, install the freeware HW "Virtual Serial Port" on the PC you want to connect with the Elk. Set us HWVSP using port 2101, make sure "NVT" is unchecked, and pick a COM port that is NOT in use (say COM9). With HWVSP running (COM9), get back into Elk RP and configure a direction connection in for COM9 (the port you just made virtually). Configure the plugin to COM9 and your done.

This works SWEET!!!
Thanks Andrew
smarty

Postby foolio on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Hi Loch:

can you post your configuration file/skin so I can configure out how you work the variables into the overlay?

thanks
foolio

Postby bmblank on Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Man, that sounds really cool. It'd be cool to turn off your alarm system as you're walking up to your door. Also it seems like with that you could set it to automatically turn on lights as you walk into a room or something to that effect.
Too bad where I live I usually leave the door unlocked and I won't be able to play with that. Security isn't much of an issue where I live. As long as the raccoons stay out of the house I'm happy.
bmblank

Postby foolio on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:15 am

Finally got a chance to sit down and play with XLOBBY and this amazing plugin - I just want to commend you for an AWESOME plugin. (basically the same plugin that MAINLOBBY charges $99 for)

Was wondering if there's a way to send individual key codes - ie, 1, 2, 3 - disarming via a "disarm" button is a bit insecure for a touchscreen type setup.

great job
foolio

Postby loch on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:51 pm

I updated the first post of this thread with a link to download my skin which is a modified Heavy Metal Series.

I am new to xlobby myself, so this may not be the best overall example.

As to the question of send individual key codes...
Again, I am new to xlobby so it is probably best to post a message in the "General Discussion" or "Support" forum.

My guess is you will need to popup a keypad, or the keyboard and save the pressed numbers into a variable. You will then need to send that variable with the disarm command. How you accomplish all of this is currently beyond me. It certainly sounds like a good idea and I am sure it is doable.

I am glad you like the plugin.
Andrew
loch

Postby foolio on Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:57 pm

no way to send it as a plugin event:

elkm1 plugin > keypress > 1 ?

thanks again
foolio

Postby foolio on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:19 pm

can the plc - light status be associated with an image as well? I like the zone on/zone off image capability. Is there something similar that can be done for light on/light off status?

off topic: using xlobby, is there a way to change the icon of an image based on the state of a variable?
foolio

Postby hvs69 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:40 pm

You can use the new toggle-state feature to change the button image. More crude way of doing is the show & hide button events
hvs69

Postby foolio on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:34 pm

hvs69 wrote:You can use the new toggle-state feature to change the button image. More crude way of doing is the show & hide button events

I read up on the toggle-state feature - but how can you get a variable to trigger a state change?
foolio

Next