Which remote control?

Speak your mind

Which remote control?

Postby oakoen on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 pm

I will be purchasing a remote control for my Xlobby setup soon. What are you guys using?
oakoen

Re: Which remote control?

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:08 pm

To indicate how simple you could go, on my HTPC machine I'm using my TV remote. It's a Panasonic, 8-in-1. I can turn the HTPC on with the same signal as turning on the TV. The DVD functions are mapped to control Zoom Player and the AUX setting is used to control Xlobby using the Mirage skin. There's also VCR, DTV, DBS, Cable, and RCVR settings which I have not mapped...yet :twisted: . This is using XRemote/Girder/WinLirc. The powering of the system is a MayIR

On my other system I'm using the Hauppauge 45-button remote for everything except for turning the system on. I had to modify the Hauppague's irremote.ini file for zoomplayer control, but works really smooth, even navigated throughout xlobby without any intervention. I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 in that system, which included an IR Blaster/Reciever. No additional software or hardware required. I'm going to add a MayIR to that system so it can be powered at the same time as the TV though.

My third system using Xlobby is the music-server...no remote here, purely being controlled by a PPC.

Again, this is showing just how simple you can go.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby Jay on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:40 pm

I use the XL IR remote and the XL touch pad. Hopefully, demand will be such that they can combine the 2 products into one.
I do use touch screens but I keep reaching for the IR remote for quick access to videos, music, email, lighting and such.
Jay

Postby dalanik on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:04 am

Logitech Harmony 555 - several IR devices in one - I'm able to control my TV, Set Top Box and HTPC with it. A bit slow for navigation in XLobby, though. I also use FireFly for HTPC (XLobby) only and I love it. If you need to control HTPC only, this is great remote (RF).
dalanik

Postby oakoen on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Jay wrote:I use the XL IR remote and the XL touch pad. Hopefully, demand will be such that they can combine the 2 products into one.
I do use touch screens but I keep reaching for the IR remote for quick access to videos, music, email, lighting and such.

Thats exactly where I am. I have a touch screen at the couches which is just a glorified remote, but I dont always run that pc. I just want a remote I can quickly use to navigate around XL.
oakoen

Postby wesblack on Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Bill you could look at the xLobby touchscreen universal remote. :D

http://xlobby.com/news/2008/04/04/xlobby-touchscreen-remote-95-1074tsr/

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack