Baddabing's Xlobby Home Theater

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

How did you find this post?

xlobby.com.com
88%
xlobby-france.com
9%
avsforum.com
No votes
skibumsplace.com
No votes
board.homeseer.com
No votes
theatertek.com/forums
No votes
htpcnews.com
2%
forum.homemedia.fr
No votes
other
2%

Total votes : 56

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:51 am

I am jsut curious, how come you went with mp3?

I figured that if i was going to rip my music collection i only wanted to do it once so i went lossless (flac - i am cheap:)) if i decide to swap to other formats at a later date i can do it without losing any time/quality.

If you have dvd's online the storage requirements for flac'ed albums ends up being relatively small.

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:28 pm

I think it has something to do with the fact that MP3 embed the cover art into the id3 tag making the database easier to display. I had all my music ripped to .wma lossess and really was having a tough time trying to get things to look right.
sharp_1

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:38 pm

I could see another reason for going MP3 in that very few portable players support FLAC at this time, so you wouldn't have to convert to put it on a player. Just a thought :)
cmhardwick

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:58 pm

true about portable players, but then again most people seam to use quite low bit rates on there portables so they can squeeze more tracks on...

its also easy to convert from flac to mp3...

the truth is i have a mixture of flac and mp3, but whenever i do a rip, i always go to flac first.
S Pittaway

Postby sharp_1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:12 pm

S Pittaway wrote:the truth is i have a mixture of flac and mp3, but whenever i do a rip, i always go to flac first.

How are you getting both formats to display properly in xl...I can only imagine the amount of time it would take to get everything looking right. Like I said, when I tried to mix wma's with MP3's I had nothing but problems...thats why I am converting everything to MP3 @ 320k.

We should probably continue this discussion over hereinstead of hijacking baddabings thread.
sharp_1

Postby tswhite70 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Just FYI about FLAC...

FLAC does support embedded coverart now (since v1.1.3). (Of course there's no Xlobby support for it...)

FLAC 1.1.4 has some serious improvements for those that haven't kept up with the releases: improved compression, improved encoding speed (2x as fast at -8 encoding)... FLAC v1.1.4.

As for portables, it's pretty easy for me. I just dump the files I want on to Free Mp3 Wma Converter (or Foobar, or DbPowerAmp) and then into my mp3 player and off I go...

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby defrag on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:46 am

Hey Baddabing, I noticed that you are using Wake-On-Lan Magic Packet to kick start your server when needed, do you do this when xlobby fires up from an event? or when the media pc is switched on/woken up? Also does your server go back to S3 mode after a set amount of time? If so, what happens if the media pc is still awake - do you poll the server to see if it's alive? Sorry so many questions, just trying to get my server to do the same.

Thanks
defrag

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:46 pm

BaddaBing

Postby defrag on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Awesome - thanks for that baddabing - now why didn't I see that when I was searching ????? :lol:
defrag

Re: Baddabing's Xlobby Home Theater

Postby Dread on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:40 pm

im tring to get these control button play/pause/ff/etc. buttons if the video is output on monitor 2.im think from reading the forum that they will only work on zoomplayer can you please tell how to config for theatertek v2.4 im using Redeux skin

many thanks
Dread

Postby cmhardwick on Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:45 pm

For theatertek, you will need to reassign the events for each button. The events should already be there. Open the screen editor (pause/break) then click on the play button for instance, click on the even tab, click assign and choose the even under theatertek for play

The reason I say they should already be there is I use another of his skins (burlwood) and the events were there, I just had to assign them to the proper buttons.
cmhardwick

Postby Dread on Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:15 am

many thanks for your help but im having problems finding the section your refering to in setup
i think you might be refering to the skin editer if so can you please help me, to get to this section
thanks
Dread

Postby gargoyle67 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:32 pm

What make is your rackmount Media Server pictured, Nice setup BTW 8)
gargoyle67

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:42 pm

To get to the Skin Editor, press the PAUSE/BREAK key on your computer keyboard
cmhardwick

Postby drfunmetal on Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:32 am

Hello. I am a newbie. First, congratulations on your system. It is awesome! I just moved into a 4 story townhouse. I have 5 Sony HDTV Flat screen LCD tv's which I bought at the Sony Outlet (3 40" and 2 46"). They have vga inputs as well as component and hdmi. I have been buying up hardware, but I don't know where to begin. I bought a module from a closing COMP USA which has component and 2 sound inputs and outputs for 6 sets of component cables 6 pair of sound chanels. I have also found several Niles Intellicontrol units with a Niles programmer and Remotes on Ebay.

I realize I am asking a lot, but what modifications would you suggest to your design for my application, and would any of the modules I have purchased work into the system. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I don't know where to begin.

Also, you mention that you have already ripped your DVD's to your server. How did you do that? (Hardware?) Do you think it pays to buy a blue ray burner as part of the system? Thank you , Thank you in advance.

Any suggestions from others would be greatly appreciated as well.
drfunmetal

PreviousNext