RS232 Plugin

Got an idea, post it here

RS232 Plugin

Postby GFORCE on Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:42 pm

I Think a Plugin that can allow RS232 Control over External Devices Like Amplifiers and Plasma/LCD/Projectors would be handy, to help get rid of the need for external programs like Girder.

Will make a Much neater and easy setup of an Xlobby System

Regards
Nathan
GFORCE

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:27 pm

I wholeheartedly second this request and would gladly serve as a guinea pig for anyone trying to code such a plugin.
rembetis

Postby hjackson on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:23 pm

I've always wondered how those codes worked. Can they be launched from the command line? Is there one universal RS232 program from which the codes for any device just need to be entered? And how do you find out the RS232 codes for your particular device?

hjackson
hjackson

Postby rembetis on Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:56 pm

At present, I believe Girder is the only widely available (and reasonably priced) app able to send these serial commands. Charmed Quark can do it as well. Both need to have the equipment-specific commands entered. You can usually obtain them by contacting the manufacturer.

Harman Kardon just released a firmware upgrade for my AVR 635. The somewhat primitive program used to upload the upgrade over RS-232 has buttons which can control the receiver remotely. I'd love to see someone code a plugin for this app so we could send it command line parameters and perhaps receive two-way feedback. I'd try, if I had even the faintest idea where to start, but my last coding attempts were in Basic in the early 80s :oops:

[EDIT: Looks like Meedio Housebot is another available app for achieiving RS-232 control, but I'm sticking with Xlobby]
rembetis

Postby dalanik on Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 am

rembetis wrote:At present, I believe Girder is the only widely available (and reasonably priced) app able to send these serial commands.

Yes, but only version 3.x i believe. When I last checked, v4.x didn't yet have serial plugin....

D.
dalanik

Postby ingalls on Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:44 pm

I have a Yamaha RXV4600, it is possible to control it via girder?
How?
ingalls

Postby rembetis on Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:20 pm

Well, you'd start by downloading the RS-232 protocols for that model from here. You will need a serial cable to connect your HTPC and the Yammie. After that, I'd head over to the Girder forum and do a search for how others are doing it. Sorry I can't be more help, I'm holding out for a way to circumvent Girder. Perhaps GFORCE will chime in.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:25 pm

ingalls wrote:I have a Yamaha RXV4600, it is possible to control it via girder?
How?

I've done a bit more digging over on the Girder site, and you're in luck because it looks like someone has pretty much figured out everything you need to control a Yamaha RX line receiver for you, with pre-configured .gml and .ini files. I've copied the pertinent read me below, but you'll need to download the files (Go here and then filter for Girder > Serial Settings and scroll down to the Yamaha download. You will need to create an account to download).

Now, if only someone had done the same for my HK AVR 635...

------------------------------------------------------

Yamaha RX Receivers RS-232C Control Set
---------------------------------------
Description: Allows control of the Yamaha RX line of receivers via serial RS-232C control. A null modem serial cable is required to be connected between your computer and the RS-232 port on your receiver. Make sure to note which COM port you have connected if there is more than one.

Compatible Devices: This is known to work with the RX-V1000 and RX-V3200 receivers. All Yamaha RX receivers use a similar command structure, so this should work pretty well with other receivers. Most notable differences are DSP modes. RX-Vx300 receivers also have an extended command set which has not been explored in Girder. RS-232C commands for compatible devices can be found on the Yamaha web site. If you create a GML file for another receiver, please share it with others.

Instructions:
- Unzip files to a directory
- Download and install the Serial Port plug-In by Mark F
- Enable the plug-in and use the Settings button to import YamahaRX.ini
- Choose newly imported device and verify settings:
- Port Properties: None, 8, 1, None, 9600
- Port Identifier: <Correct COM Port>, YamahaRX
- Transmit Message Definition: Escape Sequences selected, all others unselected
- Device Enable Script Selected
- Open or Import the appropriate GML file for your receiver. If yours is not available, experiment.

Credit: All recognition is given by handle on the Girder Forum. RX-V3200 commands and this package were compiled by purplehalf. Thanks to Mark F for developing the Serial plug-in and helping me debug my initial problems, KRavEN for pioneering Yamaha RX control, and fuzzy bee for the RX-V1000 control commands.

Support: Go to the girder forums. Much can be found in the "Trying to get control of Yamaha RXV1000 through RS232C port" thread started by KRavEN.
rembetis

Postby GFORCE on Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:25 pm

I can help u with programming for your amp, but i will need to know the Serial Codes for the amp.
GFORCE

Postby rembetis on Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:56 pm

GFORCE wrote:I can help u with programming for your amp, but i will need to know the Serial Codes for the amp.

Not sure if you were referring to Ingalls or me, but the Serial Codes for my Harman Kardon can be found here.

According to someone over on the Girder forum, I will need to compute a checksum, but I don't even know where to begin...
rembetis

Postby GFORCE on Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:31 am

Hmm the Harmon Kardon Codes look like they havnt changed.

I think ive got a file here for the 625 I think.

But Ive replaced my old HK for an Arcam AVP700 Pre and Power Combo.

Ill check and get back to you
GFORCE

Postby GFORCE on Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:46 pm

Done, All you need to do is change the baud rate for this gml.

it worked with an old AVR525/625

http://www.i-onsystems.com/v8owners/HKAVR635.rar
GFORCE

Postby rembetis on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:25 pm

Thanks G-Force. I haven't been keeping up with Xlobby and missed your post. I will check this .gml and report back. Hopefully, we can still convince Steven to code a RS-232 plugin and take Girder out of the equation completely.
rembetis

Postby rembetis on Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Oh, I wasn't paying any attention. That's the old HK .gml file. The new models (like my 635) have two-way communication and apparently require some sort of checksum. When I open this .gml my machine locks up in a loop with commands constantly firing back and forth between Girder the HK while the receiver awaits the checksum.
rembetis

Postby GFORCE on Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:47 pm

i will have a look again and i will try to make a new file
GFORCE

Next