Best Skin For TV Episodes ?

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Best Skin For TV Episodes ?

Postby gargoyle67 on Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:25 am

Can anybody recommend a good skin with support for tv episodes, like the built in movie one but supporting tv series >season>episode format.I have looked but no one seems to have a descent one surprisingly.
gargoyle67

Postby defrag on Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:02 am

The trouble with TV Episodes is that there is no real hard and fast way of generating a database that suits everybody. Unlike the music database that builds from embedded file tags, an episode dataabse would be like the movie database which relies on an external database to link category data and images. You therefore need another database that can manage the heirarchical nature of series>season>episode. Granted you could make a database filter within xlobby but then you need to add plot, actors etc. There are 2 main ways at the moment, using the xAnt plugin with Ant Movie Database or the new TVMan. Either way you need to be able easily add/remove/edit your entries. Once you have a decent database, you can then just add a category into a xlobby page and make it 1 column text only to browse through the levels.

In short though... most skins are provided with generic functionality so that users can make use of the graphics and layout to tailor to there own needs. As an example most skins provide zoning and ppc facilities, I use neither. Some provide TV EPG functionality, I personally don't need that either!!

I have a skin nearing completion that offers a TV Series page, but that really relies on you providing the database to make the best of it and then tailoring to suit your needs.

defrag

Postby cinOxen on Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:56 pm

I used the TVMan program and followed those intructions to edit the XLobbyMC-1280x720 skin. Besides a few minor issues it works quite well. I'm very happy to not have to figure out which episode is on which DVD anymore (I should say contained in which ISO file).

cinOxen

Postby joeb on Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:41 pm

cinOxen, where are you getting the episode screen caps?
joeb

Postby cinOxen on Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:08 pm

For southpark I entered them manually from wikipedia because I'm a big fan. TV.com doesn't seem to have many for TVMan to acquire.
cinOxen