Simple DVD Importer Plugin

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Simple DVD Importer Plugin

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu May 03, 2007 1:44 am

Thought I would share a screen shot of the new dvd import plug-in.

Put a dvd in the drive, you get a pop up asking if you want to play/copy/close. If you hit COPY, there are two steps

1) name the dvd
2) copy full disc or just the main movie

Thats it, it will get imported to a preset folder of your choice. Actually you set multiple destinations and xlobby will chose one that isn't full to copy the dvd too.

The first external dvd copying app to be supported is "dvdfab decrypter" which is available for free. Everything complex is hidden from the user so even a kid can use it....acutally that was the idea...the kids have to be able to import their new sponge bob dvd.

the little blue boxes is the new progress bar that was recently added.
stevenhanna6

Cover Art

Postby PhoenixF15E on Thu May 03, 2007 9:00 am

Will this automatically grab cover art as well? Also, is there any plan to grab cover art from a source that won't need frequent code changes as different web sites change, or at least will the needed code changes be automatically downloaded before attempting to grab the cover art? That would greatly improve the WAF, and would provide Escient-like capabilities at a reasonable price point.
PhoenixF15E

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu May 03, 2007 2:47 pm

Also, is there any plan to grab cover art from a source that won't need frequent code changes as different web sites change

funny you should mention that, me and Wes just started looking into this problem the past couple days. So I can say with 100% certainty that we will have some type of system in place where we no longer have to rely on spiders for cover art....we are still early on into how we are going to do this but it has to be done since the spider system we have right now is pretty unreliable and slow.
stevenhanna6

Postby jowaldo on Fri May 04, 2007 3:40 pm

very nice!

any word on a cd ripper/burner?
jowaldo

Postby cmhardwick on Fri May 04, 2007 3:43 pm

You beat me to the question Jowaldo hehehe I was wondering this myself.

Also, Steven, when ripping just the movie, do you rip all the audio tracks by default? and on some with "alternate" endings, rather than just that scene, I've seen 2 and 3 full movies on the disk.
cmhardwick

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri May 04, 2007 4:28 pm

and on some with "alternate" endings, rather than just that scene, I've seen 2 and 3 full movies on the disk

Are you sure? Redo a whole movie just to show an alternate ending? I could see a different chapter for an alternate ending but not the whole movie. I also could see (depending on the length of the film) both widescreen and standard resolutions on the same disk and then move all the extras to a second disk.
Marbles_00

Awesome Stuff!

Postby reynoldswu on Sat May 05, 2007 5:20 pm

This looks GREAT! When's the next pre-release coming out? I'm dying here! :D
reynoldswu

Postby stevenhanna6 on Sat May 05, 2007 6:21 pm

yah we have plans for a cd ripper, I just havent gotten to looking into how difficult it will be. I might have to make a stop gap solution and fix my cdex plugin for now maybe.

Also, Steven, when ripping just the movie, do you rip all the audio tracks by default? and on some with "alternate" endings, rather than just that scene, I've seen 2 and 3 full movies on the disk.

I think if there are multiple movies on one disk then a "full disc" copy is what you will want to do. That being said there is a way to show dvd decrypt for debugging purposes and one could manually select which "main movie" they want....but each alternative movie will actually be the size as a normal movie. So its going to cost you a lot of space on your hard drive.

This looks GREAT! When's the next pre-release coming out? I'm dying here!

I'm really trying to get the next pre-release out today, but I'm probably going to have to delay it until tomorrow for lack of the documentation being finished for the new auto installer.
stevenhanna6

Re: Simple DVD Importer Plugin

Postby briands on Sun May 06, 2007 4:21 am

stevenhanna6 wrote: snip

the little blue boxes is the new progress bar that was recently added.

Does this mean the system will be tyed up during the rip process? Would be nice if you could select background rip.
briands

Postby thekochs on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:25 pm

stevenhanna6 wrote:The first external dvd copying app to be supported is "dvdfab decrypter" which is available for free.

As I'm sure you know DVD Decryptor is dead......there are alot of pay rippers (eg. AnyDVD) and one of the good ones is DVD Fab Platinum. The nice thing is they give out free their ripper for DVD full disc or movie-only to HDD. Here is the link: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

It does BR & HD-DVD too !
thekochs

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:35 pm

DVDFab is what he's supporting via the plugin, works with the free or pay versions. :)
cmhardwick

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:50 pm

I had a problem with xl and dvdfab somehow getting disconnected while trying to copy...had to go into task manager and manually shut down dvdfab.exe and reboot xl to get it to work again. Everything is fine for now...great dvd copying module.

Wish the spidering was working a bit better. I would have thought band of brothers would have been an easy one...doesn't really have any decent coverart.
sharp_1

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:53 pm

and just in case someone gets confused. when I said works with free or pay version, I'm referring to versions of DVDFab, NOT XLOBBY. I tried getting it to work with free xlobby, but the SDK and everything is too different. would never work correctly.
cmhardwick

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:06 pm

Yes, I also forgot to mention this is a test done with the latest pre-release xl.
sharp_1

Postby Bill Lott on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:37 pm

I'm thinking of upgrading to the "Gold" or "Platinum" versions so I can copy to DVD instead of the just to the hard drive. Will the plugin support this? I have two DVD changers and I am hoping that xLobby will support the "copy to DVD" choice.

That being said, is there a better way to get a copy DVD? Would DVD shrink or IMGburn work?

Thanks,
Bill Lott

Next