Baddabing's Xlobby Home Theater

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

How did you find this post?

xlobby.com.com
88%
xlobby-france.com
9%
avsforum.com
No votes
skibumsplace.com
No votes
board.homeseer.com
No votes
theatertek.com/forums
No votes
htpcnews.com
2%
forum.homemedia.fr
No votes
other
2%

Total votes : 56

Re: Baddabing's Xlobby Home Theater

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:44 am

Also, you mention that you have already ripped your DVD's to your server. How did you do that? (Hardware?)

You can rip any DVD providing you have the right software to do it. I personally use DVD Decryptor on older titles. On newer ones I use RipIt4Me and DVD Decryptor, to get around the protection. There is also DVDFab and AnyDVD are other popular programs to use.

Do you think it pays to buy a blue ray burner as part of the system?

Spend your money how you want. Again, personally, the new high def DVD's are not worth it yet. First, it is like a VHS/Betamax war...who is going to come out on top? Second, aren't burners pretty expensive? Third, you will have problems trying to rip a Blue Ray disk with all the DRM protection and crap right now. The technology is to new and there aren't many hacks out yet to allow you to rip a blue ray disk. Again, my own personal view, wait for the price of a dual burner to come down to something reasonable, then you will have the joy of burning blue ray or HDDVD, and who cares which format then comes out on top.

Each to their own though.
Marbles_00

Postby gamejester on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:52 am

What make are your cinema seats Baddabing? they look good.
gamejester

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:56 pm

gamejester wrote:What make are your cinema seats Baddabing? they look good.

I think i can answer this cause it looks like exact same i have, baddabing can correct, if im wrong. Its made in china under different names like "studio 75" "hollywood 35" whatever... craftmanship and materials are rather poor, theyre ok to sit on though. price (of leather version) here in scandinavia is around 1500€, which is about 2000 american bucks.

So baddabing, u were mentioning on my P3rv3tt3 thread about motorized fold-out touchscreen install to this hometheater couch? Im really really interested to know everything u can share about install, cause i think im having exact same couch and i been itching to install toucscreens on those mugholder tables.

EDIT: Sorry my mistake, taking look at larger pic, i see some subtle differences between that and my own... so i suppose i just happen to have cheapo chinese copy of the original :) nevertheles differences are so small that id like to know everything u can share on touchscreen installation 8) .
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby BaddaBing on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:36 am

I installed the motorized touchscreen in one of the wedge shaped pieces. I used the faceplate from a single DIN automotive radio installation kit for the trim. The touchscreen requires 12V but I did not want to run a wire all the way from the PC to screen so I also installed a 12V power source that I leave on 24/7. That left two cables to run, a USB for the touchscreen and the VGA cable. When I get a chance I'll upload some pics of the install.
BaddaBing

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:58 pm

BaddaBing wrote: When I get a chance I'll upload some pics of the install.

Thanx... ill be waiting eagerly!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby sharp_1 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:35 pm

BaddaBing wrote:The touchscreen requires 12V but I did not want to run a wire all the way from the PC to screen so I also installed a 12V power source that I leave on 24/7. That left two cables to run, a USB for the touchscreen and the VGA cable.

Baddabing:

How long are the USB and VGA cables you are using? I would have about a 25' - 30' run.

Can't wait to see what your mini-touch install looks like.
sharp_1

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:22 pm

Mine would be that long as well. I've seen baluns available for converting USB and VGA to run over CAT5 up to, I think, 100' at least, but they aren't cheap, of course **sigh**

From the various pictures he's posted, I'd estimate not more than 15' because the computer is in the wall behind the seating.
cmhardwick

Postby BaddaBing on Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:25 pm

cmhardwick wrote:From the various pictures he's posted, I'd estimate not more than 15' because the computer is in the wall behind the seating.

Good eye
BaddaBing

Postby cmhardwick on Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:38 pm

lucky you! no work-arounds for the USB hookup to get past the 16' limit.

So, did you create a trough for this in the floor with a removable panel you can pop out if needed?
cmhardwick

Postby wesblack on Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:10 am

cmhardwick,

Look at Calrad part number 72-259, all you need is 2 pieces between 60 ft. of standard cat5e, adapters are around
$ 6.00 ea. . We will have some new Low Cost VGA, USB transmitters and receivers over 2 Cat5 cables on display at the CEDIA show in denver. Calrad part numbers and Information will be available on the Calrad website sometime in September.

http://www.calrad.com/download/New%20Pr ... 202006.pdf

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:37 pm

I know adapters are around, I just meant with Badabing's setup, he had no need of them. now with my potential setup, yep, I'll need them :)
cmhardwick

Postby bmblank on Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:14 pm

We managed to find a 50' VGA-M1 cable for our projector and it's beautiful... :D
bmblank

Postby tswhite70 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 pm

I mentioned this before in another thread, but one of the best places I've seen for long cables (vga, dvi, hdmi, usb, 1394, etc..) is http://www.monoprice.com.

16ft USB Active Extension cable $9 - just slap a couple together or add one to the 15ft cable you already own to go over 30ft.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby jowaldo on Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:50 pm

tswhite70 wrote:I mentioned this before in another thread, but one of the best places I've seen for long cables (vga, dvi, hdmi, usb, 1394, etc..) is http://www.monoprice.com.

16ft USB Active Extension cable $9 - just slap a couple together or add one to the 15ft cable you already own to go over 30ft.

good luck,
tsw

I agree... monoprice is the best... dirt cheap and good quality. Super fast shipping too... I always get my stuff by the next day too, with the cheapest shipping option.
jowaldo

Postby gamejester on Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:01 pm

P3rv3rt B3ar - I cannot find the seats ou mentioned by googling them using either of the names, do you have a link?
Anyone else know of any good cinema seats in the uk?
gamejester

PreviousNext