Mirage 3D *UPDATED 11/2/08* www

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Re: A new skin concept called Mirage

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:52 pm

Yeah, I'm working on them now. I ran into a little hiccup navigating the ppc screens along with using the xTransistion plugin...and finding the time to work on it on top :( . I'm hoping to have a trial version up soon...though could be a little buggy. I'm designing the ppc screens, trying to not bundle so much into them. Just the basic menu structure for the most part. So when in use, you will want to use the mimic command so the actual screen follows the ppc screens. The whole flow of it will make sense when its done (cough *hopefully*). The other thing that will require some modifications depending on use will be the zoning requirements. This skin works with my music server which is running ZoneSkin3...this may not be what everyone else will be using.

Yeah, I love Buddabing's skins, and considering this is based on his Redeux 2 skin (read between the lines...it's generally the same layout, but different graphics), which in ways, is very similar to the KISS(kin). Ahh, the KISS...that's a great skin to learn from. Awesome documentation as well.
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Yeah, I've been loosely following the xtransition discussion. I've never used mimic, so that'd be an adventure. I'm not sure it'd work well in our setup, but it's probably worth playing with. And it'd probably be nice to have a skin that has a few more features than kiss that somebody can learn from. I see transitions being very easy to learn...
bmblank

Mirage: A New Beginning *13/9/07*

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Continuing along with this skin. Found out how to integrate my music-server volume and sync control across the network recently, so I've started incorporating this into the skin. This is an early screenshot and by far incomplete. Also this is only control. I haven't been able to get live feedback from the server, and I don't know if it can be done. I have to do more research in that regard.

I've also integrated the XUTube plugin into the mix now. Below are two screen shots.

I think I'm done adding main screens. I have to finish of the PPC screens, and navigation and I think this will be ready for beta testing to work out individual kinks on other people's machines.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:18 pm

So how far along are the ppc screens? Count me in for Beta if you need it. I have no need for the zone control, but the other stuff looks great. PPC is one of the things we'd use as well as navigation (for a remote). I'm looking forward to seeing the transitions in a working specimen. Good work.
bmblank

Postby jryan1776 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:29 pm

i was wondering since you have volume controls for all of the zones built into xlobby do you also have volume controls in the rooms?

does this skin process room to room volume changes in the background? for instance if you were navigating the movie screen of the primary instance of xlobby and someone else in another room tries to change the zone volume, does xlobby process it in the background?
jryan1776

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:07 am

Marbles_00 wrote: Found out how to integrate my music-server volume and sync control across the network recently,

im bit curious how do u do that...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: Mirage - first release *23/6/07* www

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:20 am

First off....POST 1000 :!: :!: :!:

Now, I have posted a first beta release of Mirage. See my first post for download. Please read the installer, and included pdf files for details.

Basically, I think it's pretty feature rich, and uses a good assortment of plugins.

As mentioned it was tested on the last free version of xlobby.

The background image is 1920x1080, but I was designing on a 1024x768 computer monitor so I was using a 960x540 xlobby screen. I'm hoping that things won't have to be resized and reorganized, so anyone running at the opitimum res, and have problems, please let me know. Not much I can do about it until I get my HTPC running...but that's another story.

Now there are some obvious problems which I will address, and they are with the PPC screens. I tried to set up the PPC screens to compliment the main screens and act as a controller as opposed to having a "thin" client control. Meaning I used mimic, and whatever is done on the PPC screen, is done on the server as well. The PPC will control movies, music, weather, and games screens. Below is a list of problems that I ran into while using the PPC:

News screen
- No control of news category from PPC meaning selecting a different news category on the PPC does not change the actual category on the main screen.
- do have scroll control of whatever news is on screen at time the news screen is entered. Meaning if entertainment news is up and entertainment is selected on the PPC, then you can scroll the different news titles.

YouTube
- 100% control but does not display coverart when controlling via PPC. Meaning when selecting most popular daily videos, the category changes, you can scroll the different titles, but there is no coverart displayed. Videos can still be selected and played.

Files
-No PPC control of drive select or file management
-100% control of CD Tray
-no PPC navigation control of directory

Settings
-No PPC control of Theme selection (they don't take effect)

Exit
-Exit client does not exit xlobby on server, only client exits (event is setup to exit client then close xlobby).
-All other functions correct from PPC.

There are other issues, hopefully I can get answers from the individual plugin developers.

Remember, this is a first beta, and the skin is still under development. Use at your own risk. Feedback is very much welcome.

Now to answer some questions above:
you have volume controls for all of the zones built into xlobby do you also have volume controls in the rooms?

No all volume is controlled via thin/fat clients. I currently use one PPC to control the whole music server system. This will eventually grow as the family matures more and the "better half" has more of an understanding as to how convient it is to have extra computers or PPC to control the system from anywhere in the house.

does this skin process room to room volume changes in the background? for instance if you were navigating the movie screen of the primary instance of xlobby and someone else in another room tries to change the zone volume, does xlobby process it in the background?

I only used this skin on a test system that either acts as a server (to test the PPC screens) or connects to my music server and a fat client. Judging that I can have multiple clients connected to the music server at once, it will alow for mutliple control of volume in the background, and will update both clients at the speed of the client refresh rate (setup in the server.txt file). Though I don't know what would happen if two clients tried to access the same volume at the exact same time.

Marbles_00 wrote: Found out how to integrate my music-server volume and sync control across the network recently,

im bit curious how do u do that...

Ahh my friend, it's called the XReceive plugin. Though I have to find out how to run an os:execute command properly so I can send an event to put my music server to sleep on demand.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks for the updated. I'm lookin forward to pickin it up.
bmblank

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:18 pm

Just for everyone's information.

Just quickly tried this with Steven's most recent Pre-release. Up to date, I haven't played around too much with pre-releases as for me, there hasn't been a reason to. Now that Steven is thinking of going to .Net 3, for myself, there may be even less of a reason to, but for what it's worth, so far everything seems to work. I just have to setup my XAnt.ini file correctly to display my DVD movies. Other than that, it seems that all the other plugins to use with this skin are working with this pre-release so that's 8) .
Marbles_00

Re: Mirage - second release *20/7/07* www

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:54 pm

Updated with new release on 20/7/07. See first post for downloading and a list of what was updated (towards end of post).

If you have any feedback or questions, please let me know.
Marbles_00

Re: Mirage - second release *20/7/07* www

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:44 pm

Download link is currently broken. Will fix tonight (27/7/07...more like 28/7/07 early morning :shock: )

*EDIT*
Download link restored!
Marbles_00

Re: Mirage - A NEW BEGINNING *20/7/07* www

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:59 am

A sneak peak of where I'm taking the Mirage skin towards. Change the catagory graphics and flow...actually, changed quite a bit of stuff. Not yet ready for downloading. Enjoy

Marbles_00

Re: Mirage - A NEW BEGINNING *13/9/07* www

Postby defrag on Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:46 am

Looking good Marbles, like the menu - how did you do that? :lol:
defrag

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:55 am

Looking good Marbles, like the menu - how did you do that?

Some dude gave me the idea... :wink: . Took me a bit to figure out still how to do it. Both in formatting and how to actually display the images. Up until now, to display images with the menus (besides coverart...hint, hint), I've been using the "image" variable. I think it's pretty neat, and should make navigating with a remote a better experience. I've also been able to do away with a dedicated "Now Playing" screen as that info is displayed for all the top level menus (Main, Video, Internet, Help, Exit...etc.).

Thanks again for both a great plugin (xWOL), and your help in utilizing a pretty cool feature in xlobby. :D
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Mirage will be undergoing a huge facelift...I mean huge! If I can get what I want to work that is.

Stay Tuned!! Hopefully some teaser pics to come. This will ultimately decide as to whether I stay or move on.
Marbles_00

PreviousNext