Suggested Enhancements

Information related to the pre-release commercial version of xlobby

Suggested Enhancements

Postby smarty on Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:14 pm

1) Consider adding internet radio (Shoutcast Plugin was great, but now it is broken).

2) Consider adding some guidance (instructions) for how to bring over event groups, screens, databases etc. from pre-Calrad XLobby to latest version (I should know how to do this , but pointers could help some of us convert our older XLobby set-ups to the latest version.

3) The RS232 is a GOOD thing (IMHO), keep going with this.

4) Touchscreen functionality is another good thing (for some of us....er me).

5) Find a way to gather up, document, update/fix and KEEP the PLUGINS working. They are what make Xlobby so customizable.

6) See item #4, that said, keep the CPU requirements in mind. Touchscreens generally have low horsepower. A unique approach is required here....maybe one option for touch screens, and another option for higher horspower machines.

7) Others.....
Last edited by smarty on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smarty

Postby jowaldo on Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:28 pm

I can't speak for Steven on the state of Shoutcast support... but I know that its a big priority for him and Wes
jowaldo

Postby stevenhanna6 on Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:26 am

Yah I'm working on a documentation backend right now for the website which is sort of tied to a plugins section which will be added to the "my xlobby" area so people who want to share skins/plugins have an easier way to do that.

Internet radio is something we played with, I got it to work....but I didn't have time to fix the buffering issues and make a database for it...I will get to it eventually.

Touchscreens are always in our minds, I know Wes tests out each build on a touchscreen and gets me to add things here and there to make it more touchscreen friendly.

So yah we are on top of most of this stuff, so its good to see others are thinking the same way :)
stevenhanna6

Postby cooldog on Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:57 pm

Steve & Wes,

I realize that this is not a "sexy" enhancement, but since I have had several occasions where I lost all my database content and customizations, I feel it's critical.

Xlobby needs a backup & restore subsystem. It should be capable of restoring all or part of the data that Xlobby needs to operate. I should be able to do a backup, uninstall Xlobby, install a *similar* version of Xlobby, restore the data, and be running again, without having to re-import.

Re-importing is not an acceptable way to get going again because one loses custom data that way.

FYI, the two times this happened to me: the first time it appeared that the XML file got corrupted (possibly by a hot shutdown), and Xlobby refused to start, and again with the second pre-release, when Xlobby bombed during the image load during startup.

Both times required installing into an empty directory, and totally starting from scratch to bring Xlobby back to life. With hundreds of movies and videos, and thousands of albums and photos, this is NOT an acceptable solution.

Here is my post regarding the second instance: http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=38703#38703

Both cases argues for a configuration & rescue utility (including backup & restore) that is separate from the Xlobby binary, so that when Xlobby won't start, there will be a possibility of recovering the custom data.

Again, this isn't a "sexy" feature, but it is a NECESSARY one.

Paul
cooldog

Postby S Pittaway on Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:49 pm

i agree, not sexy but very usefull.

i do it thro a simple batch file that syncs a backup folder, but it could be done automatciaclly on startup...
S Pittaway

Another Suggestion... EPG ease of set-up and ease of use

Postby smarty on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:57 pm

For what it is worth....

I spent many hours trying to figure out how to get the EPG in Xlobby to work. Now, I just use the EPG in SageTV because it was easy to set up and easy to keep current (it is automatic).

For the EPG to work in Xlobby, you have to figure out how to get the proper XMLTV file into Xlobby. This part was tough for me. Please make the EPG functionality simplier/more automated.

I would guess MANY people (including myself) have found this process to be less than straight forward.
smarty

Re: Another Suggestion... EPG ease of set-up and ease of u

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 pm

smarty wrote:For what it is worth....
For the EPG to work in Xlobby, you have to figure out how to get the proper XMLTV file into Xlobby. This part was tough for me. Please make the EPG functionality simplier/more automated.

+1
sharp_1

Postby cmhardwick on Tue May 01, 2007 5:29 pm

On the home automation front, Dave at Powerhome is working on an enhancement that will use UDP broadcasts of device changes, etc from within powerhome. This might be something to look at integrating as well. I'm not sure what, if anything currently, he's looking at on the receiving side other than socket server, which is already implemented and works great.
cmhardwick

Postby stevenhanna6 on Thu May 03, 2007 1:23 am

Yes we will be adding a backup functionality for skinning thats definitely on the list. Just in general like you say, we want to backup as much as we can so users can save there files on a thumb drive or something just in case....anything could happen be it an end user mistake, program bug, or a hard drive failure or something.

The EPG stuff, we are going to keep that in the system we have plans to get rid of it. But its not very high on the list of things to do, just because more people have commented on music and movie stuff so far....but I'm sure we get to it and make something more user friendly out of it.
stevenhanna6

Re: Suggested Enhancements

Postby smarty on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:20 pm

Another suggested enhancment.....

In the F2 menu, I sure like how you have seperated the video and movie database paths, their importation, and the play screens (within the default skin. In my custom skin (based off the Simplicity default skin of about a year ago), I have the "regular" video and movies screens (and databases) and also "discrete/private" video and movie screens (linked to discrete/private databases).

I was wondering if in the default skin you could include a check box that basically duplicated the video and movie screens to allow for additional password protected movie and video screens.

This would be a parental feature if you catch my drift! :wink:
smarty

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:10 pm

smarty wrote:Another suggested enhancment.....

In the F2 menu, I sure like how you have seperated the video and movie database paths, their importation, and the play screens (within the default skin. In my custom skin (based off the Simplicity default skin of about a year ago), I have the "regular" video and movies screens (and databases) and also "discrete/private" video and movie screens (linked to discrete/private databases).

I was wondering if in the default skin you could include a check box that basically duplicated the video and movie screens to allow for additional password protected movie and video screens.

This would be a parental feature if you catch my drift! :wink:

Yup it's on the list, and it's actually pretty high on the list.
stevenhanna6

Postby rorsdors on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:46 pm

Steven, did you get anywhere with linking the music database to text files? viewtopic.php?t=1751&highlight=text
If not can there be an event to copy the clipboard to text of a button? I can get the contents of a text file to clipboard using a program called Exportizer
rorsdors

Postby cooldog on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:53 am

Steven,

Any chance you could build in a spider to query cdbaby.com ? It's the largest collection of indie CD's for sale that I know of.

Thanks,
Paul
cooldog

Postby tswhite70 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:26 pm

cooldog - I've created a quick old-format spider for cdbaby.com - see http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3640&p=40212&hilit=+cdbaby+cdbaby#p40212

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby cooldog on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:38 pm

tswhite70 wrote:cooldog - I've created a quick old-format spider for cdbaby.com - see http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3640&p=40212&hilit=+cdbaby+cdbaby#p40212

good luck,
tsw

Thanks!!!!! I'll try it ASAP (which, given the plans for Sunday, means sometime next week. See: http://www.cooldogconcerts.com

Paul
cooldog

Next