RS 232 plug-in - parser

related to programming for xlobby, code samples, examples etc.

RS 232 plug-in - parser

Postby lpg on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:28 am

I have the rs232 code working. To finish off the plugin I could use help with some code for parsing an input line.

Here is what I have in mind: I would like to use a script like language so a user could define what data to grab from the recieve packet and where to store it or what event to execute.

I could write this myself but it will take a while to build and test. If any one has any .net code I could look at that would be great. I do not care what language it is in.

Larry
lpg

Postby tswhite70 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:52 pm

I don't know if this will help any but here is the argument parser I'm using in the AppleTrailers utility:
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/ArgumentParser.asp

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby lpg on Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:50 am

Thanks I will look into it. Larry
lpg

Re: RS 232 plug-in - parser

Postby rembetis on Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:51 pm

lpg wrote:I have the rs232 code working.

Fantastic. Hope we see this baby before Xlobby goes commercial :wink:
rembetis

Re: RS 232 plug-in - parser

Postby lpg on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:47 pm

rembetis wrote:
lpg wrote:I have the rs232 code working.

Fantastic. Hope we see this baby before Xlobby goes commercial :wink:

Even if xlobby goes commercial it will be free. I am not in a position to support it as a product and I did not develop it with that intent.

Larry
lpg

Postby stevenhanna6 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:56 pm

Just so you guys know, I will be adding built in rs232 support to xlobby soon...maybe in 2 weeks? Wes just sent me an rs232 switcher to play with so I have something to test with....its actually on its way to me, we have also started an rs232 code library section where people can store codes temporarily.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

I'm not saying don't finish the plugin because you might have a specific need for it, I'm just saying rs232 is going to get built into xlobby pretty soon, and there is a section if you want to upload rs232 codes.
stevenhanna6

Postby lpg on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Steven, I saw that you were incorporating RS232 into the main product. That is great news. I started this project more as a learning experience. I had not coded in 20 years and wanted to get back into it.

I appreciate the comments,
Thanks Larry
lpg

Postby samgreco on Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:40 pm

Steven - Is RS232 only going to be in the Pro version?
samgreco

RS232

Postby wesblack on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:26 am

Extensive RS232 control will definately be in the Pro Version, we are working on this right now and hope to have a beta release for users to use soon. Possibly some RS232 control in the Standard version as well.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Extensive RS232 control will definately be in the Pro Version, we are working on this right now and hope to have a beta release for users to use soon. Possibly some RS232 control in the Standard version as well.

Okay, I apologize for hijacking a little here, and this is not really the place to take up this discussion, and I understand if this should be discussed elsewhere, but this is that "gray" area now. I take it that RS232 will be a part of the Pro version of XLobby, with possible little support in the standard version...so where would a plugin like what lpg has almost completed, fall into place? Will this sort of plugin work in the Standard version...and then for us DIY'ers, not even require the "Pro" version?

It goes back to that discussion about where all this is going. It's been about two months, there should be some vision or idea now as to what is going to be offered and for how much. No? Yes?

Now if you choose to move this post elsewhere to discuss this, again, I totally understand as this is not thread location for this discussion.

Hijack closed.
Marbles_00

Postby lpg on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Marbles you read my mind. I was wondering the same thing? Hijack accepted.
lpg

Postby samgreco on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:39 pm

Well, since the Hijack has been accepted, I need to chime in here too.

I am a bit frustrated with the lack of info on XLobby commercial. I understand the need to get things rolling before final decisions are made, but I would think, and hope, that a business plan was done before this merger happened. And as such some thought went into things like cash flow, which would mean cost of units, how many units sold, etc.

I'm not asking for exact amounts, but right now, until the 14th of April, CQC is running a sale. The regular price for the entire package is $895, with the sale price being $625. I am seriously considering it. I know it's a lot of dough, but I know where it is and where it's going and it's the only other control package out there that is close to what I want.

XLobby sounds like it will be there and I've been here FOREVER and want to support Steven so...

Is XLobby pro going to cost more than $50? $100? $250? $500?
Will it have true automation?
Will it support things like UPB, ZWave, Insteon?
Will it support HVAC and Security like Elk or HAI?
Will lpg's plugin work? What about ALL of the other plugins?

Steven, I'm sorry if this is making your life difficult and if it's an annoyance, but I don't think I'm alone in feeling stuck. I feel like I can't even think about starting a skin without more info. The last thing I want, or can do, is spend an imense amount of time only to have to bail out.

OK. I'm done now.

Sam
samgreco

Postby wesblack on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:16 pm

I hope this clears up any further confusion of xLobby and what we are doing !

Why is everyone so impatient here about pricing. Most of you have a usable free version right now that I assume is working satifactory at the moment. I have made special arrangements with Steven to offer specific discounts to existing loyal users of the software and to those people who have contributed to xlobby in the past, these discounts will be available when we launch our first sellable release.

As I have stated before Calrad does not depend on xLobby to survieve thus we are in no immediate rush. We will have further details soon, we expect to have solid versions working by early to mid June. We want to have a really polished program with features that will make everyone happy not to mention filled with more bugs then we need to deal with. Pricing will be in-line with other similar products that are out there. Steven and myself have been living and breathing the software every day, 15-20 hour work days for the last month or so.

We have some really cool idea's and features to add !, we will share them with you soon.

We have just hired additional people to help us deal with the xLobby project, they will soon become active members of the xLobby community. We are also looking for Electronic Engineers and PC \IT people. I will be posting more details when a place on the Calrad website is available for anyone interested in joining the Calrad team.

Thanks for your understanding and continued visits and support of Calrad and Xlobby.

Wes & Steven \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby rembetis on Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:00 pm

Just bumping this thread to see if you have managed to finalize this plugin, lpg. Thanks in advance for your efforts.
rembetis

Postby lpg on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:19 pm

No not yet - I do not know if it will be of any use once Steven releases xLobby with RS232 built in. Clarad knows how to make this work very well based on their products so I expect the functionality to be quite good. I will finish the plugin withing the next few months. I did find the parser approach I want to take so not it is a matter of coding and testing.

Larry
lpg

Next