Screenshot of new skin

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Screenshot of new skin

Postby Jdahl on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:08 am

Hey y'all, just wanted to show off part of my new skin for my new media server running x-lobby. So far I have just used stuff available in the default skin such as buttons and stuff, and created all new layouts and a new background. I am running at 1280X720 On a Sony GWII. I have reduced the screenshot.

Let me know what you think. :)

Jeff

[/img]
Jdahl

Postby Aaron on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:05 pm

It looks nice!

one suggestion... if you are going to share it with the masses you may want to make it a bit more touchscreen friendly by making the buttons larger.
Aaron

Postby Jdahl on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:41 pm

Thanks Aaron,

I will make it available if someone wants it, however I am not shooting to be a "Skin Engineer" - I'll leave that to Colby, Jowaldo, Badabing, etc. Reading their posts and studying their skins helped me. 8)

I dont have plans to make PPC screens, or use a lot of the other things X-Lobby can do, I just basically use it as an interface for listening to music and cataloging my movies.

I wanted to show what could be done using the default skins buttons and just changing the layout and background.

Jeff
Jdahl

Postby Colby on Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:12 pm

the beveling, brushed metal and screws makes it look like hardware, with "software" windows. If that was the intent I would add glass gloss over the info windows. I would also make the buttons on top of brushed metal be "outies" or "innies", as now they are same as the ones in the windows. I would like to see cover art in the bottom picture.

This skin looks hard to navigate with remote, and like mentioned the buttons are too small for touchscreen. If the intent is make it simple, powerful and easy to use for primarily music, then I would make sure it is. Test if with one of your non-tech buddies and see if they can figure things out easily if so, then its good. I admit it looks strides better than the default skin. And I know what it takes to make a whole new skin, its a lot of work. The import thing is that a skin meets your needs, and is how you want it.
Colby

Postby Jdahl on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:15 pm

Yeah - i was going for more of a stereo component look rather than a "MCE" look. I like the look of hardware. :)

I may in the future change the buttons to more of a custom look. I wanted to keep it simple for now. I like the idea of adding a "glass" overlay though - should make it a little more realistic.

I use it with a mouse, so navigation isnt a problem for me. I am going to set up my friends system with X-Lobby who is going to use it exclusively for music, so we'll see how that works. He's not super tech savy, so I may have to make it a bit less complex.

It's just been fun messing around with again. I used it for a while back in the old 1.0 days. Steve and everyone has done a great job to keep this going.

Jeff
Jdahl