xWOL2: Wake On Lan Plugin plus Network Monitoring!! NEW

Xlobby plugin development

xWOL2: Wake On Lan Plugin plus Network Monitoring!! NEW

Postby defrag on Wed May 02, 2007 11:30 pm

NEW VERSION!!!!

A plugin to allow a Magic packet to be sent to one or more machines on your network to allow them to resume from S3. Can be set to fire when the plugin is loaded and/or called from an event anywhere an event can be fired!! Plus!!! Network monitoring for any machine in your network that accepts a ping!! It is coded for .Net 2.0 and runs without command boxes.

So what does this plugin really do?

• Wakes a PC from S3 Suspend on Xlobby startup and from Events
  • Provides real-time update on network status of anything that will Ping (pollable at a refresh set by you)
  • Allows you to build network monitoring into your skin (ouch!)

This has been tested in the latest Pre-release and the last free version.

IMPORTANT First and foremost, if you already have the xWOL.dll in your plugin directory - delete it, the directory structure has changed.

Next (maybe this should have been first), download the file
http://www.xlobby.com/files/defrag/xWOL.zip and unzip it into your plugins directory (maintaining the directory structure of the zip!!!).

Open Xlobby and hit F2 and navigate to the plugins section and you will see an entry for xWOL. Highlight the entry and click the configure button.

You will be presented with a screen as shown below:

There is a doc file in the zip that explains all the buttons, events, images, variables etc. Anyone who uses xoapweather will notice the similarities with the variable syntax, big kudos to the author for releasing the source - saved me oodles of time.

As a teaser here's some examples of what you can do:

Home page with main media server status:

Dedicated Network page with 4 machines

There are a few silly outstanding issues, mainly when you wake a pc from an event, the network status does not immediately refresh (It gets caught in the next poll), and one of the editable fields in the dialog box is not disabled when it should be :D !!!

A few things didn't make it into this release,

• Keep awake pc - I was thinking of adding this as an option, so that if a ping returned offline, the pc would be woken.
  • Alternative to the above, sending a timed wake call to the pc - probably not so intuitive.
  • Expanding images list to cater for different devices, Server, PC, laptop, mobile, palm etc

Any comments and further suggestions gladly accepted!!!! Any questions just shout!!
Last edited by defrag on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
defrag

Re: xWOL: Wake On Lan Plugin

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Fri May 18, 2007 7:25 pm

defrag wrote: bear with me if any bugs!!!

:shock: NO BUGS!!!! :lol:

I havent yet tested this... but time will come. Noticed it already when it came out and thought it was great idea.

I was once planning to do database of my hosts for xlobby, so my kramer VGA switcher and USB switcher could be controller simply by selecting host, which wuold be connected to terminal simply by selecting from a cat.

Ofcourse people have different KVM solutions so theres prolly aint point to implement those controls in this plugin... but it could be great if this plugin could make database of systems on LAN (automaticly to extent which is possible, requires some sniffing, supported by user input) and wake them up when clicked from cat. database could for example contain system name, description, ip, OS, MAC (ofcourse since its needed), hell this could even work togther with Xstat to provide database with some more data.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby defrag on Sat May 19, 2007 6:48 am

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote: :shock: NO BUGS!!!! :lol:

Well that will be a first :lol: :lol: :lol:

P3rv3rt B3ar wrote:but it could be great if this plugin could make database of systems on LAN (automaticly to extent which is possible, requires some sniffing, supported by user input) and wake them up when clicked from cat. database could for example contain system name, description, ip, OS, MAC (ofcourse since its needed), hell this could even work togther with Xstat to provide database with some more data.

At the moment it already generates an xml file to store the machines - so no reason why this can't be saved in xlobby cat format. Sniffing out all "live" machines within local LAN should be possible - but then you would have to make sure that they are all on at the time!!! An extended database is easily done - I think I could add an "extended data" tab to the top part of the plugin form.

I wanted to keep this simple as most users will only need to wake their servers, but reversing this thought.... if the server could wake thin clients... hmmmm
defrag

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sat May 19, 2007 9:48 am

defrag wrote: Sniffing out all "live" machines within local LAN should be possible - but then you would have to make sure that they are all on at the time!!!

Yeah, i admit, automatic function was rather far-out idea. But didnt wanna left it out. Mayby u wouldnt even need to sniff, mayby looking up the arp cache, and sendin some query packets at machines on it, but still it would have same prob. mayby host finding could be always incremental... well just thoughts to get u going :)

Oh, plugin should ping hosts in database periodicly to display whether theyre alive in real time! online core-field is just perfect for that!
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:25 am

I like this plugin, and currently trying it out with my Mirage skin to wake my music server when starting the skin no problems. Where I'm running into a problem is that it does not respond when using a button event. I set up an event using the plugin command, but nothing happens. Is the event portion of the plugin working?

Great plugin none-the-less.
Marbles_00

Postby defrag on Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:35 am

Sorry Marbles - been out an about plus work's had me on a tight leash :( (plus didn't get notified that you'd replied to my post!!!) I'll take a look for you as soon as I can
defrag

Re: xWOL2: Wake On Lan Plugin plus Network Monitoring!! NEW

Postby defrag on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:42 am

NEW VERSION - SEE FIRST POST
defrag

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:47 am

Awesome!!! as im just building "system" part of my "bearskin" with xMon, xStat, and this one! I was really waiting for this update before integrating it. I cant wait to have it running, and give some feedback.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 am

Cool, looking forward to trying it out tonight.
Marbles_00

Postby rika on Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:59 pm

Great work, defrag! 8)

Rika
Last edited by rika on Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rika

Postby defrag on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:23 pm

Thanks guys - be nice to see some shots of this in action in your skins
defrag

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:19 am

I just tried to download and open, but I'm getting an error stating that it is an invalid file. I tried to open it direct from the web, and again it's stating that it's an invalid file. Could you re-upload again?

*EDIT*
I just went to the xlobby server via ftp and downloaded that way, and it opens fine...not sure what's up downloading from your post.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:39 am

Marbles_00 wrote:I just went to the xlobby server via ftp and downloaded that way, and it opens fine...not sure what's up downloading from your post.

hhhmm worked just fine for me... using firefoxy
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby defrag on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:58 am

How odd - maybe the download didn't finish before IE reported it had - happens sometimes. I tried it from work yesterday and worked fine there in IE.
defrag

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:04 am

Thanks guys - be nice to see some shots of this in action in your skins

Your wish is my command. Nothing elaborate, just the ability to wake the music server if asleep. I'm also trying to put the server asleep by running the sleep.exe program via xReceive, but I'm not having much luck right now. Most likely some stupid setup error on my side.

The button event works great now by the way. Thanks again for such a cool plug-in.

Oh, and yeah I was trying to use explorer for downloading...that's most likely what happened.
Marbles_00

Next