Remote input

Help each other out

Remote input

Postby homepc on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 am

I cant beleive I dont remember how to do this. I have all my remote buttons programmed into XL with the IR plugin. But I cant remember how to get XL to perform a task when I press a button. As an example, when I press the exit button on my remote, I want XL to goto the main menu screen. I've done this in the past, but I must be getting old and dont remember how to do it.....can anyone help an old man remember?

Thanks!
homepc

Re: Remote input

Postby Marbles_00 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 am

I gotta get to bed, but to lead you in one direction (hopefully the right one), sounds like you need xRemote and Girder. Girder will pickup on the button press, the xRemote plugin interfaces the Girder command to an Xlobby command.

I think I give an example xRemote build and Girder.gml in the xStreamed Main Module download.
Marbles_00

Postby homepc on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Thanks!! I do recall now using Girder. But I have realized it is not on my computer any more. I have searched my whole computer for Girder* and nothing shows up....hmmmm. I guess you use Girder to create an XML file and then you dont need Girder anymore? Anyway, I will try and re-download Girder. Is there any version I should look for? Thanks!
homepc

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:15 pm

One of the guys here has a link to 3.29 (last free version). It should be all that you need, unless you need something more specialized.

Yeah here it is: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5660&p=39119&hilit=girder#p39119
The link is still valid (I downloaded from it the other day).
Marbles_00

Postby S Pittaway on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 pm

EventGhost is another option (its free as well).
S Pittaway

Postby homepc on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Great! Thanks! I've searched all through my remote ini files and GML files and nothing seems to match my current reomte. Not sure whats going on, but no big deal, I'll just start from scratch with the remote. I'm applying the xStream skin anyway, so the remote buttons will change.

Thanks for all your help!!
homepc

Postby homepc on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:11 am

Quick question....do I need Girder if I just want to use the remote to control xL? Like if I want the MENU button on my remote to go to the screen MENU? Do I need Girder? Or will the xremote plugin be enough?

Thanks
homepc

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 pm

xRemote is the "glue" that attaches Xlobby to Girder. Girder recognizes the keypress from your remote, which xRemote takes and determines which Xlobby command is associated with that keypress, and to which screen. xRemote is not a standalone IR component. Now Pittaway suggested using Eventghost. I'm not sure if xRemote can be used with it but it is worth a shot.
Marbles_00

Postby S Pittaway on Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 am

I use xRemote as well (its a great plugin).

I guess you use it in the same way, i have some macros defined in eventghost and when in xlobby mode they send WM_USER messages to xlobby which trigger the xremote events.

Only mentioning eventghost because
a) its free :)
b) i found girder damm confusing
c) i found eventghost easy to pick up
d) its a good example of an open source application.

Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby homepc on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Well, now I remember.....I didn't use Girder because I was using the IR Plugin in XL. I just added all my remotes to that plugin, and called them through events. No need for Girder or xremote. But, I wonder if there is an advantage to using girder/xremote instead of the IR plugin?
homepc