Hardware options - multizone audio

Check here for the latest news on what is going on

Hardware options - multizone audio

Postby vaporhat on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Looking to plan ahead in terms of wiring and hardware for a multizone audio system.

Currently I have one source of audio feeding into a 12 ch amp, to 6 rooms. Each with a pair of 8 ohm speakers and impedance matched volume control.

What would be the most efficient use of my current hardware and wiring to split each room into a different audio zone controlled by XL?

Without migrating to an ABus system, what other options could I use in connection with XL?

RS232 controlled 12 ch audio switch .. maybe??
vaporhat

Re: Hardware options - multizone audio

Postby wesblack on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:32 am

Look at these posts.

http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5896&p=40908&hilit=+audio+dongles#p40908

http://xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5854

xLobby with Multi-Zone with 4 Seperate zones, Audio Dongles or Internal Audio Amplifier Cards
http://xlobby.com/images/screenshots2/Music%20Multi%20Zone.jpg

[url]httpxLobby with Multi-Zone with 4 Seperate zones synced, Audio Dongles or Internal Audio Amplifier http://xlobby.com/images/screenshots2/ ... ynched.jpg[/url]

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby vaporhat on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 pm

Wes, thank you for your response.

I have seen the Amplification card and the multi-zone XL screenshot. However for some reason I did not see that dongle!
I think that is going bridge the gap I have in my system since I am looking to use existing 12ch amplifier rather then card amp.

You mention that a rackmounted version would soon be available, what is the status and what does it look like?

Also, is the functionality currently available in the most current release of XL to support this USB dongle? Can you briefly explain the set-up?

In regards to pricing, what is the best way to talk about this, realizing the issue of damaging the interests of your installers?
vaporhat

Postby wesblack on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:09 am

xLobby Ver 2.0 and 3.0 currently support the dongles and the amplified sound cards.

Setting up the Zones
Press F2 then select Audio the sound cards will show up under Sound Devices, first you would select Add under Internal Audio Zones then name the zone under the Name text box, then select the USB dongle or Amplified sound cards under Output Device. You would follow this step for up to 4 zones. The most rescent build has some improvements for syncing zones, some new features and individual volume controls for the audio zones.

The final step is to launch the XNET Server under Xnet. Select the check box Always start as a server, this will load the XNET server every time xLobby starts. The screenshot below is from a special build we have right now, please contact me by E-Mail or by phone (323) 465-2131 if you want to discuss this further as this post could go on in lenghtly detail.

The rack Audio Dongle product is still a work in progress and when ready I will post some details.

Multizone Resources

Marbles has a nice thread on KX setup for multizone audio

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4704

Wes Black \ Calrad
Last edited by wesblack on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wesblack

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Why is the webserver necessary for this? Or did I miss something?
cmhardwick

Postby wesblack on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:44 pm

Sorry it should have been the xNet Server, I corrected my post. The xNet service is required so xLobby can run multiple zones and the resources can be shared.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby cmhardwick on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:09 pm

Ahhh, makes much more sense hehehe. mine runs all the time, so no issue there. Now, just to get multi-source/channel amp ... wire house (or find decent wireless option), etc, etc, etc ... Oh yeah, first priority ... win lottery :P
cmhardwick

Postby rika on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Wes:
Press F2 then select Audio the sound cards will show up under Sound Devices, first you would select Add under Iternal Audio Zones then name the zone under the Name text box, then select the USB dongle or Amplified sound cards under Output Device. You would follow this step for up to 4 zones.

Does this mean that 4 zones is maximum.
Or is it only possible to have 4 USB zones? then you could also ad client zones?
Or is this conserning only defalt skin.
Or is it like before, you could ad as many zones you like but as it is now you could only control volume on 4 zones?

Rika
rika

Postby wesblack on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:48 am

I have had 6 Zones running on a few tests months ago working independently fine but the syncing feature had several bugs, but the rescent code improvements and additional features to the current xLobby Ver 2.0 has made 4 Zones on our current Servers and Clients working really nice and smooth, this code will be added to xLobby Ver 3.0. With 4 Zones playing 4 differnt streams the CPU was between 7-11%. I believe we can go with more dongles or Amplified sound cards but eventually the resources on the machine will reach a limit. One day soon when xLobby Ver 3.0 is out and we are doing more audio testing I will need to perform a test on what is the exact limit on sound cards and just install like 10 dongles, then 15 and so on until it crashes the system or is not working correctly.

Then perform the same test mixing local dongles with client zones.

On our current build Volume controls are controlled independently for every player.

Wes Black \ Calrad
Last edited by wesblack on Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wesblack

Postby rika on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:22 am

Rika
rika

Postby wesblack on Tue May 06, 2008 4:37 am

Multi-Zone updated features. Remember this overlay is used to demonstrate the power of xLobbys capabilities and can be stripped down for each users own needs. The old simple overlay (overlaymusiccontrols2.xml) is still part of the skin and can be used if needed.

1. Added master Un-sync event to un-sync all zones that are allready synced up.
2. Party Button to automatically start playing random music in different zones.
3. Use Calrad remote to select zones to be controlled and change tracks, play pause, etc. Select the numeric digit 1-4 to control each zone.
4. Stop button for each zone.
5. Quick playlist access and control.
6. Mute or un-mute all zones plus audio level presets.
7. Added one more IP radio station.

newmultizone3.JPG

xLobby remote.JPG

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Jay on Tue May 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Wes, I take it that the overlay update above hasn't been released yet?
Don't see it in 2.8123.17.
Jay