any faster way of connecting to server besides client?

Help each other out

any faster way of connecting to server besides client?

Postby billberet on Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Hey,

my client and server is set up, running fine but i do not like the delay on the client (tablet samsunt Q1)
other than using the client to connect to the server, has anyone used any other method to connecting to xlobby server.
The Q1 is connecting wirelessly

My first attempt is Ultra VNC which i will test tonight, with the ULTRA setting to get real time (wire speed).
by using the google browser, i can mimic an application by saving the url as an application. this way
i have no buttons or borders. Just the VNC connection full screen

OR

if i install a fat client on the tablet, if i issue an event (ir blast).
will that event occur on the server which has the USB-UIRT attached? or does the tablet fat client issue the command?
my thinking is, if the pages are on tablet, there will be less lag, cause it is running locally. but the ir command i want to execute on the server
to blast the equiptment in the basement.

am i on the right track here?
billberet

Re: any faster way of connecting to server besides client?

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Most likely if your looking for a speed increase, and your client allows for a full version of xlobby (fat client), then run it that way, with a twist. Since it sounds as though you want your server to send IR commands to other devices, but don't like the delay, then use the XReceive plugin on the server, remembering to set the conf.ini to the IP of the server, and use a port other that what is used for XNET. On the client, setup events to run XSend, and in the variables (arguements...however you want to put it) configure them to your IR commands on the server. Actually to use XSend, since it is a standalone executable, you don't even need to run xlobby on the remote device.

That's how I'm controlling my music server from my HTPC. They are both configured as XNET servers, but servers can't connect to other servers, so I send XSend commands from the HTPC to set sources to zones and volume control all down at the KX DSP level. Below is an example of an XSend command (taken from the xml file):
Code: Select all
<command>
        <type>os</type>
        <execute>execute file</execute>
        <parameter>C:\Program Files\xlobby\plugins\XReceive\XSend.exe</parameter>
        <parameter>"plugin:command:xPerT:Delegate:&amp;kX driver;Slide;FadeBackyardS2Min&gt;1&gt;1&amp;" "7750" "192.168.0.11"</parameter>
        <parameter />
        <parameter />
      </command>

What this does is sends a command to IP 192.168.0.11, port 7750 (my music server) to set mixer slider 2 to minimum at a determined rate (I think 1 step in 1 second if I recall). On the music server, in the XReceive plugin folder, the conf.ini file has the IP and port number indicated above.

You may find the server will react more quickly to this.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:23 pm

yes i was looking at the xsend/xreceive with a fat client, i will try this out.

i set up xrecieve on the server, and i was able to change to the menu page from a command prompt on the Q1
from command prompt i can run

C:\Program Files\Xlobby\plugins\XReceive>XSend.exe "command:xlobby:run event:fio
s cablebox:volume up" "8999" "10.1.101.118"

C:\Program Files\Xlobby\plugins\XReceive>XSend.exe "command:xlobby:run event:fio
s cablebox:volume down" "8999" "10.1.101.118"

i created an event and added the OS execute file command with all the params.
seems to run ok, is this the most efficient?

*****XNET Client setup****

*****XNET Server setup****

can i grab the databases on the server with the fat client?
if i grasp this correctly, server will hold all the movies, music, pictures. etc. and the fat client can view or play them?
there would be no purpose to have individual databases on each fat client, each fat client should pull the info from the server databases.
am I correct in saying this?
just trying to get a high level picture on how everything ties in.
Thanks for taking the time to educate me a bit.
i've been reading alot, but cannot seem to find a checklist of what i can do with a fat client/server configuration.

my wife is complaining about being slow, she can't get to 90210 fast enough ;)
billberet

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Been a while since setting up a fat client but you have the jiff of it. All actual media resides on the server, and databases are copied over during fat client setup. All actual maintenance of database remains on server. Just don't remember now if you have to define the database location on the server in the fat client setup...that's where my memory is foggy. Easy enough to try without defining the database locations...and just connect to the server, and then again after defining the locations.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks Mr M.
when i go home i'll try it out.

i'll start out with something simple, like one mp3.
i'll import it into the server database, then try to play it on my fat client.
sounds simple, but i think i'll be pulling my hair out, lol

thanks again for the help.
i should be working, but i'm playing with this instead.
:)

ok i'm home now
all i did was map a drive from each of the fat clients.
then updated the local database on each machine.
not sure if that is the way to do it, it works, but if i change files on the server, i have to keep updating each of the clients separately.
to reflect those changes.

anyone have any thoughts on how to do this
or if Mr. M got rid of his cobwebs, and can shed some light
billberet

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:40 am

on my fat client
every time i make a network drive the location for the music (z:\xlobby server), it resorts back to c:\ which was the origional directories
how can i keep xlobby looking at the server for the media

i also have to check out the xsend on my fat client. there seems to be a 5 second delay on the commands being issued.
even more lag than when i ran the thin client, lol, i'm trying to research that now.
the main reason for the xlobby is the IR for tv and cable stb's

all the other commands are fast since the fat client is running locally. Just the xsend/recieve seems to be lagging.
and i'm back on my AMD machine too for the server. maybe i'll hook up my intel again.
GRRRRRRRR, i wanted the SUN box working since it's a good workhorse.
oh well...
billberet

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:41 am

I FOUND THE ISSUE
the q1 lag comes from the wireless.
when i hardwired the tablet, boom boom boom
fast fast fast

5 second delay on wireless.
now i have to check out the hardware on the q1.

now i at least can sleep, since i know where the issue lies.
and i'm back on my sunbox YAY
billberet

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:12 pm

Yeah, something didn't seem right...5 seconds to send a command across the network? My HTPC is an AMD and I'm not seeing that poor timing (currently its my quickest computer in the house). Check the wireless drivers or something in its config for sure.

Good you found the culprit.
Marbles_00

Postby billberet on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:20 pm

that's exactly what i did, i went to samsung and got their drivers instead of using microsoft's.
when i installed XP mini, i used the wrong driver, lol

and get this !!!!!
the thin client does not lock up anymore, hahahahahahahaha
boy i just want to kick myself in the a$$

on the bright side, the xsend is working beautifully and the fat client is MUCH faster than thin.
I have a shared drive on the server with the media, and on the fat client i added that drive
for each of the different media types, one for music, movies and pictures.
i guess now i have to have a schedule run that updates the media at night, so by the next day i have all the new music downloaded the night before. did i say downloaded, i mean music i ripped from my CD's :)

i'm currently converting all my xml databases to SQL so my web services can run against them. so i can access the data from the outside. Mostly the InTheaters data. such a neat little tool.

Thanks for taking the time to walk me thru Marbles, i'm sure i would be banging my head if you didn't turn me on to the Xsend.
I'm also using it on my webpage, Next i have some old x10 modules, and i dl'ed girder, i'll try this next after the tv is done.

i posted my setup here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6566&p=46695#p46695
if you can give some comments that would be great, i want to do what you did with music. different rooms, etc.
cheers !!!!

as a side note, because i use a fat client, i get the overlay for the InTheaters, WORKS GREAT !!!!!!
billberet