Powerdvd Ultra 7.3 and HD-DVD playback achived through XL!

Speak your mind

Powerdvd Ultra 7.3 and HD-DVD playback achived through XL!

Postby guile on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:03 am

After playing with this for quite a while, I thought it would be a REAL problem. Girder methods may work but the gml that was posted in another thread, didn't for me. I think it may have been for an old version of Powerdvd anyways.

I have quite a few hd-dvd's on my hard drive and want very much to play them through Xlobby. I was thinking since .evo is the file format of hd-dvd's, that would be the extension to associate. Wrong.

In editing the .xpl file (hd-dvd's version of xml), I released that by launching just this file, it would in fact play the entire directory (read, the hd-dvd movie). So, I associated Powerdvd with .xpl, used "%parameter%" without the quotes. After you add the movie directory, it will be picked up as adj_obj, as that is the associated dir. Just go into the database and rename it whatever movie, and wallah, Perfect HD-DVD playback within Xlobby.

Hope this helps somebody.

g
guile

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:22 am

I have quite a few hd-dvd's on my hard drive

Ah, the question is not so much what you did to get it working, but what program do you use for ripping HD-DVD movies to the hard drive?...AnyDVD HD?
Marbles_00

Postby guile on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:26 pm

Yes, the slysoft product.
guile

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Does it work well?

Have you tried BackupHDDVD? That's that small ...um...program offered over at CDFreaks.

Also how are you playing the original disk? USB XBox 360 drive?

Sorry to spin this off from your original post, just, it's an interesting topic.
Marbles_00

Postby guile on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:51 pm

Well, as a beta tester for this application, I can honestly say Anydvd-hd is an outstanding app. If you are familar with Anydvd, the hd version works the same way. Also, the recent addition of Blu Ray really makes it an incredible product.

Backuphd-dvd is nice, and it was a remarkable achivement, but the code is sloppy, and it will (in some cases) produce discs with errors, (ie, won't play, no menu, etc).

g
guile

Postby hjackson on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:36 pm

Thanks Guile!

"Also how are you playing the original disk? USB XBox 360 drive?"

I have been playing HD-DVD and BR-DVD on my htpc after ripping them to ISO files with AnyDVD-HD and DVDDecrypter and mounting them with Daemon tools. I haven't been able to fully integrate PowerDVD with Xlobby, so I hope to try G's method tonight.

hjackson
hjackson

Postby guile on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Yes, I am using the 360 add-on. You say your ripping to iso and mounting with daemon tool? Why?

g
guile

Postby hjackson on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:53 pm

"Yes, I am using the 360 add-on. You say your ripping to iso and mounting with daemon tool? Why? "

??
Not to be prickly, but do you use Xlobby? I ask because the MAIN point of using Xlobby is to play/manage DVDs that are ripped to harddrives; so it seems odd that an Xlobby member is asking me why I would want to do that. Are you wondering why I mount it instead of playing the file directly?

hjackson
hjackson

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:07 pm

Probably the question is why rip to ISO and have to mount the image instead of ripping to a directory on your HD, as regular files (.ifo, .vbo, etc). I started with ISO then switched to just directories, mainly because it made it easier to play those files on another machine through the network, outside of xLobby :)
cmhardwick

Postby hjackson on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:21 pm

"Probably the question is why rip to ISO and have to mount the image instead of ripping to a directory on your HD, as regular files (.ifo, .vbo, etc). "

I think ripping to ISO is easier (with the right software) to manage. Only one file to deal with (the ISO file) and most (all?) pc software DVD players can be fooled into playing the virtual ISO disc drive, but I do not think that all software players can play from the actual file folder.

hjackson
hjackson