Jowaldo's skin 2.0 screenshots - updated 5-18-06

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

Postby abobader on Sun May 07, 2006 5:30 am

I hope we see this nice skin see the light soon (the dark one).

My best.
abobader

Postby Arthur on Sun May 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Nice skin. (both the dark and the light one). Buttons look good (slight wave form).
On the main page, shoudn't the buttons be 2 lines to the left (The 3 lines seem to indicate the menu level you are in, and those buttons are top level)
Would it be possible to view by artist in stead of by album (My music library is getting huge, I already made seperate library's for; pop, classic and kids but still..)
How can I control the music on the music page using a touchscreen?
Keep up the good work!
Arthur

Postby jowaldo on Sun May 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Arthur wrote:Nice skin. (both the dark and the light one). Buttons look good (slight wave form).
On the main page, shoudn't the buttons be 2 lines to the left (The 3 lines seem to indicate the menu level you are in, and those buttons are top level)
Would it be possible to view by artist in stead of by album (My music library is getting huge, I already made seperate library's for; pop, classic and kids but still..)
How can I control the music on the music page using a touchscreen?
Keep up the good work!

Yeah the lines are there to indicate how far into the level you are in. However you can see in the last screenshots, I reduced it down to two lines. Three seemed to much/busy to me. I haven't moved everything in there proper place yet.. I'm still tooling around with that.

About the music, I still haven't messed around with it too much, but the idea is you click on that "browse: albums" button and it changes to "browse artists" and etc...

When it comes to controlling with a touchscreen, don't worry.. this skin is made for touchscreens (although it should work fine with remotes too. Being able to have play/pause/next/volume controls can be accessed by the now playing screen. The idea was to not clutter every music page with those buttons, since I want this to be nice and clean as possible. Yet the now playing button will be on every music screen, so the controls are always one "click" away ;)

sound good?
jowaldo

Postby mfergusson on Sun May 07, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi. Looks great - I really like the simple approach.

Re "the swirly background... too busy" - perhaps. Maybe remove the "flower" at least ...

When do you expect to be able to post this? Looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Mark
mfergusson

Postby jowaldo on Sun May 07, 2006 6:03 pm

mfergusson wrote:Hi. Looks great - I really like the simple approach.

Re "the swirly background... too busy" - perhaps. Maybe remove the "flower" at least ...

When do you expect to be able to post this? Looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Mark

Yeah the flower was never meant to be in it.. i was just playing around in photoshop ;)

I'm working on the music portion of the skin first, I'll probably post my skin when that section is done, even if the other parts aren't ready. Hopefully that will be done in a week or two.
jowaldo

Postby freebits on Tue May 09, 2006 1:55 pm

I really waited for your new skins simply because you are the best skin designer!!! :D

I have two questions here.

1. Is this 16:9 wide size?
I have 42 inch LCD TV and don't want to resize the skins manually this time.

2. Will you allow me re-distribute your skins w/ Xlobby as a Korean XL package? Now, I'm preparing Korean version.

Thank you, Jowaldo.
freebits

Postby jowaldo on Tue May 09, 2006 3:44 pm

freebits wrote:I really waited for your new skins simply because you are the best skin designer!!! :D

I have two questions here.

1. Is this 16:9 wide size?
I have 42 inch LCD TV and don't want to resize the skins manually this time.

2. Will you allow me re-distribute your skins w/ Xlobby as a Korean XL package? Now, I'm preparing Korean version.

Thank you, Jowaldo.

wow thanks for that complement!

The screenshots I posted aren't 16:9, but I am working on a widescreen version. All of the backgrounds I'm making in photoshop are with both in mind. So the backgrounds won't be simply streched from one aspect ratio to another.

Here's a quick sample of the widescreen version.. remember this isn't close to the final yet.

Oh and the resolution I'm creating it in is 1280x720

Thats also fine if you want to translate it into Korean, as long as you post where you got the skin from.
jowaldo

Postby freebits on Wed May 10, 2006 4:06 pm

Great!! Great!! Great!!

It's needless to say that I'll post all the details about your skin and efforts.

Can't wait no longer :D
freebits

Postby abobader on Fri May 12, 2006 12:02 am

freebits wrote:Can't wait no longer :D

+1
abobader

Postby jowaldo on Fri May 12, 2006 12:06 am

i'm chuggin along steadily on this... so dont' give up :)
jowaldo

Postby abobader on Thu May 18, 2006 9:43 am

Hi jowaldo,

Any update on this lovely skin yet?

My best.
abobader

Postby jowaldo on Thu May 18, 2006 4:24 pm

abobader wrote:Hi jowaldo,

Any update on this lovely skin yet?

My best.

Ok here is a pretty big update on it... but its still not quite ready to post.. there are some minor glitches and cleaning up I need to do. Remember the whole idea of this skin is to be consistant in the navigation of it, and to be simple for anyone to walk up to in and use it without help (waf)

Touchscreen navigation came first in the design of it, but remote and of course mouse navigation also work very well and smoothly.

I just started on ppc screens, and I'm already loving it.

So far I still have only the music screens created (since that is what I use xlobby for 90% of the time)

So here is a breakdown of some of the screens I have:

Main music screen nothing too different than what I posted before...

did you notice the "sort by" button though on that last page? This is what you get when you click on it (and yes all of these buttons work)

So say you click on "artist".... this is what you get... notice how there is a "play/queue artisits" buttons on the left.. a single click of either button will automatically play/queue all the music (this one probably won't be used much, so I may remove those buttons)

Notice how each screen has that title in the top right hand corner to make it easy/clear what you are looking at.

After you click an artist, this is what you get... A listing with the name of the artist at the top and their albums listed below. Note the play/queue albums buttons on the left. These come in very handy.. just click one, and it will automatically play/queue all of the albums showing. :D

But say you want to see the details of an album... so you click on one of them.. and get a listing of what is in the album. Like the other screens, there is a play/queue album button on the left that will (duh) play or queue the album ;)

I won't show what happens when you click a track, cuz you probably get the idea by now...

Also, some new developments on the search screen... This screen still needs cleaned up a bit, but notice how there is no "filter/search by" buttons for things like artist/album/genre/etc.. thats because it searches all of them, and shows to the right of each search result what it is it found... not too shabby! Thanks to steven for help with this one!

Nothin too special here with the nowplaying screen. If you note on the other screens, the nowplaying button is on almost every single one (if its not it will be soon) You may have noticed no other screen has play controls.. that is because I wanted to keep each of the other screens clean, but since the now playing button is on every screen, your controls are always one click away. If you are using a remote, you don't even need the controls on this screen ;)

The round buttons I still need to redo.. those ones are from my old skin..

On the main screen there is an options button... this is what you get from that (as of now)

Multizone is going to be very important in the setup of this skin, since I will be using it heavily. :D

coverart downloading is in it too

and on the main screen there is the "queue" button... basically the idea is, the queue is what you are playing right now.. playlists are presaved "queues" that you can then click on the playlists button, see a listing of existing playlists, then choose to play/queue that playlist, or delete it.

So that should give you a idea that I'm still workin hard on this ;)

Hopefully still within a week or two I will post this (mainly just waiting for a few bugs to be fixed)

I'm also going to work on the buttons/backgrounds again.. mainly the green buttons.. And there will also be a screen to change the style/colors like in my old skin

Comments/suggestions like always are always welcome!
jowaldo

Postby Twit on Thu May 18, 2006 4:50 pm

Awsome - looking good!
Twit

Postby abobader on Thu May 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Twit wrote:Awsome - looking good!

I totally second that!

Thanks jowaldo for giving more screenshot of the design, well done indeed.

My best.
abobader

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu May 18, 2006 7:30 pm

Looking really good. I like your sorting methodology. This is going to be a great skin to learn from that is for sure. 8)

I also like the rough background look you have when an overlay is open...really nice effect. 8) I'm assuming that was done with Photoshop as I've never seen an option in Xlobby to do something like that.

Sorry :( , still kinda partial on the green buttons, but I do like the blue ones :) used in the filter screen. To me, they are still easily noticeable, but merge better with the background imagery.

Looking forward to trying this out. :D

David
Marbles_00

PreviousNext