Windows 7 issues

Help each other out

Windows 7 issues

Postby m_ski on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:09 am

I am just in the process of updating to Windows 7 and have experienced a couple of issues which I do not experience in XP and wondered if anyone could help.

1) The whole xlobby UI seems to be generally slower than in XP with noticeable delays between pressing buttons and something happening. Everything else in windows is fine and working nice and smoothly in Win7. Any ideas?

2) I am using zoomplayer to play videos and it seems to not come to the foreground when launched sometimes, and xlobby seems to often keep input focus making it impossible to actualy switch to any other application unless xlobby is actualy minimised. It is like it is stealing the focus all the time because it is a full screen app?

Hopefully someone else has seen some similar issues.
m_ski

Re: Windows 7 issues

Postby lar282 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:17 pm

m_ski wrote:I am just in the process of updating to Windows 7 and have experienced a couple of issues which I do not experience in XP and wondered if anyone could help.

1) The whole xlobby UI seems to be generally slower than in XP with noticeable delays between pressing buttons and something happening. Everything else in windows is fine and working nice and smoothly in Win7. Any ideas?
Have not seen this. Have seen faster or the same as XP but it is dependent on ram/CPU. Can u check how much ram and cpu XL is taking?

2) I am using zoomplayer to play videos and it seems to not come to the foreground when launched sometimes, and xlobby seems to often keep input focus making it impossible to actualy switch to any other application unless xlobby is actualy minimised. It is like it is stealing the focus all the time because it is a full screen app?
I have the opposite prob. When zoomplayer close, XL is not in focus! I use script to start zoom cause I don't think it is working ok anymore when XL is mounting iso.

Hopefully someone else has seen some similar issues.
lar282

Postby lpg on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:27 pm

I have also not seen the slowdown in Win 7. Can you check preformance including network? With Vista and after I have noticed a drop in net preformance. Do you have the widgets turned off?

As for zoomplayer I ahev not used it in a while. I use Theatertek 3.

Larry
lpg

Postby m_ski on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I think part of the issue with ZP is due to the position it hides the mouse pointer in for me - bottom right hand corner of screen - and if you move the mouse just very slightly it activates the 'aero peek' where all windows are hidden in order to show the desktop.

I'll find out about cpu/ram in win7 next time i get it running - it is such a pain doing this update on my main machine which needs to be working 24/7 to record TV progs. I only get small windows of opportunity to reboot into win7 and tweak a few things, then boot it back into XP. Just got to get the above problems sorted then I am ready to migrate.

I AM using some the Win7 widgets - are they rather resource hungry? I'll try with them turned off.
m_ski

Postby lar282 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:45 pm

m_ski wrote:Thanks for the info. I think part of the issue with ZP is due to the position it hides the mouse pointer in for me - bottom right hand corner of screen - and if you move the mouse just very slightly it activates the 'aero peek' where all windows are hidden in order to show the desktop..

This is an option so just disable it in zoomplayer
lar282