xTransition - Fade/Slide/Wipe between screens,overlays etc..

Xlobby plugin development

Re: xTransition - Fade/Slide/Wipe between screens,overlays etc..

Postby Marbles_00 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Rika, I'll give them a go when I get a chance to work on it again.
Marbles_00

Postby jpoveda on Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:16 pm

Hi m_ski,

I didn't do anything special. I open xlobby, I execute MyTheatre in windowed mode, I switch with ALT+TAB to xlobby and I minimize it, then I can see MyTheatre playing TV. I switch to xlobby, I execute a fade transition, I minimize xlobby and .. voila. The blue window.

Where is the image from?. Good question. It's not from OS screen, It's not from xlobby screen,.... and the colour, always same blue....... I can't understand it.

If I configure MyTheatre to VRM xtransition works well, If I configure media player clasic to use overlay mode I see the same blue window.

I'll try to catch focus problem but I've been working for 30 minutes without any focus problem.
jpoveda

Postby m_ski on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Marbles,

A couple of ideas for the ppc Mimic issue...

1) Instead of using the 'xTransition: goto screen' event use;
xTransition: Freeze Screen, then use normal xlobby goto screen command, then xTransition: Unfreeze screen
This is effectively what xTransition is doing but this way you will be issuing the goto screen event as normal rather than from the plugin which may well work. The other benefit of this method is that if somebody does not have the xTransition plugin then the skin will still function OK for them.

2) Follow the 'xTransition:goto screen' with a normal 'xlobby: goto screen' event with the same screen name. If the server is already on the correct screen nothing will happen but on the ppc this may force it to go to the ppc??? screen. Also this will make the skin still work OK for someone who does not have xTransition.

jpoveda,
Does the problem only occur if the transition occurs while the video is already playing? If you start the video playing after the xTransition event do you still get the blue screen?
m_ski

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:48 pm

Thanks m_ski,

I had actually thought of the second idea, but was trying to avoid the extra command for every goto event (was trying to keep everything a simple as possible). For that reason, I'm for sure going to try your first step.

Thanks again for all your help.
Marbles_00

Postby homepc on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:19 pm

I really like this xTransition idea, but all I want is for every screen to fade. Is there a global befault I can set to fade without having to change every goto screen event?
thanks
ray
homepc

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Is there a global befault I can set to fade without having to change every goto screen event?

What I just did was make a screen and copied my splash contents to it so it virtually appear to be the splash. I checked off Start Up Screen for that one so it loads after Xlobby has started. Then in the Screen's enter event (Skin Editor/Screen/Enter Event) I associated the following event:

Code: Select all
start events
     Plugin command: xTransistion
     Command: Screen Change Style:
     Variables: fade

Wait: 3000ms

Command: Freeze Screen

goto screen command: menu

Command: Unfreeze Screen

From there after since I ran the screen change style right from the start, all changes are fades.

Hope this helps.
Marbles_00

Postby bmblank on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:29 pm

Another neat feature would be to have a random transition. I'd probably set all of my transitions that way..
bmblank

Postby bmblank on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:31 pm

[quote="Marbles_00"][quote]Is there a global befault I can set to fade without having to change every goto screen event?[/quote]
What I just did was make a screen and copied my splash contents to it so it virtually appear to be the splash. I checked off Start Up Screen for that one so it loads after Xlobby has started. Then in the Screen's enter event (Skin Editor/Screen/Enter Event) I associated the following event:

[code]start events
Command: Screen Change Style:
Variables: fade

Wait: 3000ms

Command: Freeze Screen

goto screen command: menu

Command: Unfreeze Screen[/code]

From there after since I ran the screen change style right from the start, all changes are fades.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

That only helps though if you're starting from scratch, no??
bmblank

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:49 pm

That only helps though if you're starting from scratch, no??

Yep, which I gather that is what homepc was inquiring about. Another way of doing it, though I haven't personally played with the feature is the start triggers found on the command side of the Setup/Events.

Another neat feature would be to have a random transition

If you don't define a specific transistion effect, random trasistions are by default according to m_ski. We all have personal tastes, but I like just fades as well. After transistioning through the screens with random transistions, I felt like I was watching a Star Wars movie...many will understand what I'm talking about here as every scene change took on a different transistion effect, wipes of different formats, fades of different styles...after a while, the transistions were almost as iritating as Jar Jar Binks...Biggs (whatever the F#@k that stupid computer generated figure was called).
Last edited by Marbles_00 on Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbles_00

Postby jpoveda on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:41 pm

Hello m_ski,

It doesn't matter. I get the blue window even I start mpc/MyTheathre after the transition event.
jpoveda

Postby BaddaBing on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:44 pm

Very nice plug-in. Unfortunatley, I've discovered a problem that makes it unusable for me. It appears to hog system resources when invoked. Not a problem with a single screen system. But when you run dual monitors, like I do, it messes with what is on the second screen. For example, I tried using this with my screensaver. Works fine by itself, but if I try and run milkdrop at the same time on the main monitor, mildrop display distorts each time a transition occurs on the touchscreen. If I have a movie playing on the main screen and a screen transition occurs on the touchscreen, again, the movie jitters or is distorted. This is on an AMD 4200 dual core CPU machine with 2 gig or RAM and a 512 meg video card. Still a cool plug-in, but not one I can use.
BaddaBing

Postby m_ski on Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks for the comments Baddabing. The plugin doesn't do anything clever with hardware video acceleration at the moment so yes, as you say, it does hog system resources when transitioning, otherwise it does not provide smooth transitioning. I may try and resolve this in a future version but I don't plan on doing any more on this until I know what is happening with xlobby (not sure if I'll be able to afford to continue running it).
m_ski

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:18 pm

Ski, a hacky work arround you can use is to lower the priority while the transistion is running, then set it back when the transition is finished.

Just call Process.GetCurrentProcess().PriorityClass = ProcessPriorityClass.BelowNormal;
Then set it back to Process.GetCurrentProcess().PriorityClass = ProcessPriorityClass.Normal;

i do the opposite in one of my plugins (i want xlobby to finish whats its doing so i set it to realtime then drop it back later).
S Pittaway

Postby BaddaBing on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:57 pm

but I don't plan on doing any more on this until I know what is happening with xlobby (not sure if I'll be able to afford to continue running it).

I'm with you 100% on that.
BaddaBing

Previous