Not using Standby question

Speak your mind

Re: Not using Standby question

Postby scottw on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:41 pm

S Pittaway wrote:Something just poped into my head, you arent using WinAmp are you?

If so there was a bug in Milkdrop that caused it to max the cpu out when music wasent playing... sounds a bit similar!

Make sure that nothing is starting up a instance of milkdrop or try updating to the latest version.

Sean.

Thanks for that info Sean, but I don't have Milkdrop installed. Hopefully I will figure something out soon :D

Thanks for posting!!!
scottw

Postby scottw on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:00 pm

scottw wrote:Just now I remembered that a few months ago I added port 8000 to my routers Port Forward list so I could control XL from my PDA phone. I wonder if someone was hammering that port and caused XL to max the CPU out, does this sound possible. I had just looked at the CPU monitor and it was fine. I went to my laptop and removed the port forward rule to close the port, about 10-15min later I looked at the CPU monitor and guess what it was maxed out. I tried to reproduce the problem by adding the port forward back in and then remove it but it did nothing. Hopefully this was it but somehow I doubt it.

Well it looks like this may have been the problem :D :D :D

I have not had a problem since I removed the port from my port forward list and it has been running for 4 nights now going in and out of standby each time.

Hopefully you will not hear back from me on this issue as I will be a happy camper.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!!!!!!
scottw

Postby scottw on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Just figured I would give an update in case anyone had this issue. It has been weeks now and I have had no problem since removing the port forwarding. I suppose someone was hammering the port and causing XL to use more and more of the cpu and not releasing it.

Hope this can help someone else.

You just don't know how frustrating a simple problem can be...my hair is starting to grow back now :lol:
scottw

Previous