MusicServer 5.0 SKIN Files

This is the place to post your skins, and discuss skinning

MusicServer 5.0 SKIN Files

Postby PhilB on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:56 pm

I have posted a copy of my latest effort here:

http://pballai.homeip.net/Phil/MusicServer%20LCARS%20-%20April%2020,%202006.zip

for those who might want a copy. It is loosely based off the LCARs (Star Trek) interface but only because I like the look; please don't accuse me of being a Trekkie :)

A complete description of my system is available in the Home Theater section of the Forum:

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4010

Enjoy,
PB
PhilB

Postby samgreco on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:15 am

PhilB,

I just noticed this skin. It's the only xLobby skin I've seen that controls an external multizone device. I am using a Xantech matrix switcher and would love to adapt this.

Do you have a Girder .gml file for this that I can get to learn from? I think I can fairly easily make your skin work. Then I'll post my mods.

Also, I have UPB lighting stuff that I will need to figure out how to integrate.

Thanks in advance :)

Sam
samgreco

Postby PhilB on Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:25 pm

I do and will post the .GML to my FTP site later tonite. It really is not hard but Girder can be tricky.

I have made many changes and tweeks since I posted my site and need to update. I will be happy to share my experiences with you as I really have enjoyed to results.

PB
PhilB

Postby samgreco on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:40 pm

Thanks Phil. Please do share your tweaks. Everything is helpful :)
samgreco

Postby PhilB on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:18 am

You can download the .GML and the latest version of the skin I made (LCARS) at my FTP site:

ftp://pballai.homeip.net

user= xlobby@xlobby_ftp
pass= xlobby

Look under the skins directory.

Let me know if you have questions.
PB
PhilB

Postby samgreco on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:32 am

I'm not able to login using the user and password here. :(

EDIT: JusT got in and downloaded. Thanks much!

Looks like I have work to do.
samgreco

Postby PhilB on Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:54 pm

Don't be descourgaged. There are many people on the forum who can help and have great systems running. If was easy, then Microsoft would do it.

PB
PhilB

Postby Marbles_00 on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Hey Phil,

I like your setup. Few questions on the setup though.

1) Are you able to sync zones with the Sonance amp? Or are they all independent to each other?

2) It would appear that with only two inputs, only two sources can be played at the same time, is that correct? What I mean by that is that you can have the FM radio playing in x amount of zones, then someone will play some mp3 music in another zone. But is it possible for a third person to play some other mp3 music selection, different from the second person, in a third zone? I hope I explained that right.

3) You indicate that your running S-Vid to your HDTV from a PCI 6600. Why would you not run DVI so you can at least get high def on the TV? Seems kinda limiting as you have a HDTV, and a pretty powerful video card to be able to produce the HD signals.

As stated, I like your setup overall. It seems really solid. And the skin looks great.
Marbles_00

Postby PhilB on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks for the positive comments, I appreciate it.

The Sonance DAB-1 allows 4 input signals to up to 24 zones. In my world that is more than I need. I only use the FM Tuner and Digital Music (MP3/Shoutcast) as outputs to the zones.

Check out the amp specs at :

http://www.sonance.com/subs/products.ph ... _cat_name=

Roughly $1000 on ebay. Not cheap but integral to the system and worth it so far for me.

With 4 zones, I could use 1 for FM radio and 3 for WinAmp so I can play 4 different "streams" to individual zones. In practicality, I have only used 2, my wife in the kitchen and me in my office but that is just my world.

A BIG shortcoming is that I can't get feedback back from the Sonance back into XL. The Amp will send RS-232 data back out but XL can't use it. In a big setup how can you tell a zone is on and at what volume? I have made some visual "hacks" to make this better but I would prefer if XL supported 2-way RS-232. Actually, it does not support 1 way...I use Girder to be sure the message gets there.

I dont use S-Video for the DVD, I use a Dual Head video card that has Component Video out which is quite good even though my HDTV is 30 feet away through the floor. This allows me to use the VGA to distribute to 2 touch screens via the same video card (and an external video amp/splitter). I also use the HDMI input on my HDTV for my HIDEF Sat dish/PVR.

I am just to lazy to update my web site I guess....
PhilB

Postby samgreco on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:41 pm

The lack of 2-way RS-232 is a big issue. It's impossible to know what the system is doing at any given time.

I am using the Xantech ZPR68-10 with the EXP9 Expander. It gives me 8 sources and 10 zones. Way more than I need.

I've been here with XLobby since almost the beginning, but I am starting to look at other apps. I can probably make XLobby work, but it would be a kludge.

Oh, and I have UPB lighting modules.

The hunt continues :)
samgreco

Postby samgreco on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:49 pm

Well, I haven't figured out how yet, but the Girder RS-232 plugin DOES receive as well as send.
samgreco

Postby PhilB on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Sure it does but XL would require a Plugin to recieve the stream from Girder or a serial port. Doesn't exist and I dont have the knowledge or time to try and write one.
PhilB

Postby m_ski on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:35 pm

You could try doing something I did a while back to enable 2-way comms with girder using sendmessage commands to xlobby.

http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3321
m_ski