POP3 MAIL Plugin... ????

Xlobby plugin development

POP3 MAIL Plugin... ????

Postby kolemieux on Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:23 am

Steven / Team,

Is this out of reach - I'd love to code something like this myself but too much of a stretch. With all of the killer power, plugins, and everything of Xlobby it seems like maybe this exists or is indeed possible. I've seen 2 nice plugins for Meedio and POP mail is one, I like the MSN/IM as the other.

My appetitie for Meedio stops there for now and come right back to Xlobby. Meedio is nice but not if you want flexibility in customization - add a bunch more as well.

Thanks guys - any ideas on this one? Also did not know if there was really a way to parse from a POP3 mail server into Xlobby like a news feed. I am much more/only interested in reading not sending. HTML reading would be nice though.

Thx
Chris
kolemieux

Postby antipasto on Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:20 pm

As sort of a quick hack for this, google for scripts that you can run on your local machine to make an RSS feed of Pop or Imap mailboxes... there are a few, and remember that you can get "ActivePerl" and other languages for Windows (PHP, python, etc) to run these.

Anyway, make the RSS feed every 15 minutes or so, and then, host it on your local webserver. Point Xlobby at that address as an RSS feed. I don't think Xlobby supports at this time local files for RSS feeds.

A little plug, ;p, you could also use the xml2xlobby plugin to do XSL transformations of the resulting local RSS feed.

Best of luck!
antipasto

Postby Arthur on Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:55 pm

Would this mean that my mail becomes a public newsfeed? So everyone could read my mail?
Arthur
Arthur

Postby antipasto on Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:49 pm

Not if you keep it on your local machine... block access to the web externally... (most ISPs block incoming port 80 anyway)
antipasto