kXd -- kX Project driver control plugin via PervTalk

Xlobby plugin development

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:32 pm

No, unless he recently changed...and I mean recently by within the last couple of days. He has full mute all zones, default to 500 (50%), or mute/zone. I was hoping to do this, but in your example, P3rv, you have actual name, not alias name. I followed that example for my use, when I had one card, it worked great. But when the second card was added, and I had to go the Alias name route, because the dummy aliases had to be added per .ini file. You mentioned about adding dummy actual names...to the point of adding dummy plugins in the DSP. My only problem with that is that my one card is only a 5.1 Live, and I'm running low on GPR's. I can't even use three EQ's...one zone uses the Timbre plugin. I can't imaging adding 3 additional stereo volume plugins for dummy states to that card...well, time to ebay for another Audigy maybe? I'll let someone else find out first if it works or not.

I also stand corrected, you did mention that problem about controlling bars via thin client. Sorry about that.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Yes after running few test... i have to agree with findings u guys have already reported... when using pervtalk aliases and trying to adjust volume atleast when using incrementing/decrementing buttons... pervhub comes tumbling down shortly after...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:11 pm

got a registration error when trying to start KXd.exe any ideas?

Sorry Sharp, missed your question. Are you trying out the command line route (just to get used to kXd)? Or have you passed that and trying to integrate it into Xlobby?
Marbles_00

Postby sharp_1 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:19 pm

Marbles_00 wrote:
got a registration error when trying to start KXd.exe any ideas?

Sorry Sharp, missed your question. Are you trying out the command line route (just to get used to kXd)? Or have you passed that and trying to integrate it into Xlobby?
Thanks for getting back to me. I am just trying out the .exe. Let me try a few more things before you spend any time on this I just may have realized what to do.
sharp_1

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Ok marbles ive run few more tests and it now really seems theres atleast two bugs causin the problem behavior. First one seems to be within xPerT and other one seems to be input validation problem within kXd, which we have been aware since scalt reported it ages ago. Now it seems apparent though that it doesnt only affect fade aliases but register aliases also. Other bug (with high probality within xPerT) causes the problem when using pervtalk aliases instead of device name.

Since kXd bug is hard to fix because of my screen problems, and xPerT bug is hard to locate simply because code is extremely complex (spaghetti) ill be next testing the dummy register alias workaround... ill let u know how it goes.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:00 pm

Marbles,

That workaround works like charm. I know, i know, its a bit f*ck up way to do it... but it might take me a while to get dealt with these bugs. meanwhile this approach can really work, and its not like huge effort ull just need to add mixer to both DSPs and well few lines to both inis.

U mentioned about adding three stereomixers.... but i think one dummy per DSP is enough. U just route all register aliases meant for other card to this dump stereo mixer in ini. u dont need to wire it anyhow. U also mentioned about running out of registers in live 5.1 card... my other card is same and i think i run into same problem once when i had DSP full of stereo mixers and delay plugins. There is some setting in kX which i think reserves memory for use of DSP, i found that adding this amount allowed me to put more plugins on DSP.

Remember with this strategy u need to use device name i.e. "kX driver" instead of pervtalk alias names in button commands, just like in my example. If u use alias names that xPerT bug causes invalid information to sent to pervHub and nothing happens on button press.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:08 pm

Sounds good P3rvB3ar.

I also have a hairbrained idea. Create a bunch of invisible buttons the size of each bar segment and that will reside over each bar segment. This is so the bar is still visible, but the button is over it. Each button will be tied to an event that quaries different alias volume locations defined in the .ini files.

Something like this:
FadeMute - Volume 0% (already exists)
FadeTen - Volume 10%
FadeTwenty -Volume 20%
FadeThirty - Volume 30%
FadeForty - Volume 40%
etc.
Finally FadeHundred - Volume 100% (already exits)

The concept is the same as how I'm doing the zonemap for touchscreen users. Then I may be able to get away with using bars in a thin client.

I'll let you know my results when I finally set it up and try it.
Marbles_00

Postby scottw on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:11 pm

Good idea. Way to be creative!!!!
scottw

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:16 pm

Yeah that is great workaround... it really should take care about thin client issue.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Crap!! :idea: ...my head is spinning with more ideas :idea: :twisted: :idea: ...like if the whole house is synced...and one zone wants to break away...use the mixers to turn down the 0/1 input to that zone!!! :!: :twisted:

I CAN'T STOP :!: :twisted:

Spinning....thoughts....going....through....my....head :!:

I Need a beer :!:
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:42 am

From my previous post concerning observation 4:

4) Now the strangest of all, and I have yet to be able to repeat this. For some reason, I lost total control of controlling the KX stereo volumes....

I found out that at somepoint I connected the KX EQ direct to the Epilog output for one zone...bypassing the volume control alltogether. This is the reason for lose of control of the volume in that zone. Noticed it, fixed it, it is no longer an issue.
Marbles_00

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:31 am

P3rv,

A special request. Is it possible that you could switch the direction in which the bars travel. Currently they all travel in accordance to the KX DSP. Where left is min. and right is max. For you mixer, could you put in the option for the Comp bar to go the opposite direction where left is max and right is min?

I'm trying something out as one mixer slider goes down, the other slider goes up. Both bars are different in color so as the one bar goes down, the other bar is increasing.

Hope you understand what I mean.
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:43 am

sure i can do that... but unfortunately i cannot be very responsive this time around. I started major modification with xPert source, so it wont even compile right now... but when i get these changes implemented i believe i can finally have version which will replace all earlier ones. Also i believe that nature of this request require working with both kXd and xPerT, and i still need to find a new monitor before working with kXd. So i hope u have little patience with this request.

bottom up bars were actually planned, and pretty much implemented, theres just a need for small modification within kXd to allow them to be used, but i can add other two directions as well.

and i cant be without using this opportunity to yell out loud WAY TO GO SCORSESE!!!!! thanx for keeping bear entertained over the years!! shame we dont have OSCAR shaped smiley here...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:56 pm

P3rv,

On a side note, I had a good chance this past weekend to get alot of my new skin completed. Most of the kXd functionality has been incorporated (I really only have to finish off some PPC related stuff conserning kXd). My request above is not detrimental to the functionality of the skin...only to add a cool factor.

I just want to know your final views and thoughts on releasing PervTalk (Xpert/kXd/Pervhub) in a bundle with the skin (the major control functions of the skin depends on PervTalk). I know it was discussed briefly on my ZoneSkin3 post, and I read your post on the KX website, and those guys don't seem to mind a compiled release. I just want to know how comfortable you are...if you feel confident, any reasons to worry, would rather have me hang on to find some solutions to current bugs? Let me know, either via this forum or through email correspondance (keeping this forum post to what it really is about...getting kXd to work).
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:39 pm

It was anyway whole original idea, to have some skinner include Pervstuff as ready made package for enduser. Just if u could take a look on legal stuff related to kX-SDK included with kX distribution and include possibly needed copyright notices for the kX-libraries and so on.

Ofcourse i would be more happy if solution would be bug free... but im afraid that would postpone the release indefinitely, so in my opinion u should go ahead and release it.

Alpha testers should however keep their username and password handy, im pretty sure i put some other alphas out later...
P3rv3rt B3ar

PreviousNext