Andy's Home Cinema

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Andy's Home Cinema

Postby Grooby on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi

As i've been lurking in these forums for a fair few years now i thought i would show off my completed home cinema :D

Front 1
The front of the room and ceiling is painted black and has a black carpet covering the front 1/3 of the room.
There are 3 Black Acoustic Panels on front wall, just about see them, no flash on iphone :(
Quite a few windows in room so black suede curtains help to soak up reflections.

IMG_0002.jpg

Front 2
This pic shows my new unRAID server. Taken a month to get working, oh the headaches tracking down the problems, eventually solved by a add in LAN card.
Arcam P85 3ch Amp
M&K THX Ultra Sub

IMG_0001.jpg

Main front speakers are Transmission Line design i made myself and centre is a large ported design.

IMG_0007.jpg

Projector
JVC HD750 1080P

IMG_0003.jpg

Main Equipment Stand
Calrad Touchscreen
HTPC running iphone skin (what else :wink: )
Arcam AV8 Processor (object on top is an old isolation platform i just use to stop heat rising to HTPC)
Audyssey Processor
Xbox 360
Arcam P85 Amps for 7.1
Rears are M&K THX Select x 4

IMG_0005.jpg

Just about got everything running as i want, hell of a hobby... :twisted:

Andy
Grooby

Re: Andy's Home Cinema

Postby wesblack on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:12 pm

Andy,

Nice work.......what are you using for AC power conditioning and what size and type of projection screen is that.

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby Grooby on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Wes

Mains Conditioning is one of these...

1102UK300.jpg
1102UK300.jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 8934 times

Internally, the block is wired with Kimber’s TCX cable.
The Ultra PurifierBlock includes a parallel mains filter, fitted MegaClamp spike protection, components were developed for use in the communications industry.
Ultra PurifierBlock uses Coherence Technology™ to help reduce noise.
Woven powercords to reduce RFI, 16 Hyper-pure copper conductors insulated with Teflon, Wattgate plugs.

Kimber interconnects and speaker wire.

Screen is my trusty Draper Onyx 1.3 gain which is just over 6 1/2 ft in width.

Andy
Grooby

Postby Marbles_00 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:01 pm

I'd like to read more info on your main speakers (and center). Always enjoy reading info on DIY stuff. I've often thought about building my own speaker system but figured by the time and money spent to have something that looked somewhat presentable...it be cheaper just to buy them. My woodworking skills are somewhat Null and Void :lol: . Transmission Line huh...did you get your info/inspiration from this website?

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/

As a matter of fact, is your speaker documented in the gallery section? I see an "Andy G"...could be? You should fix your link man!!! :D
Marbles_00

Postby Grooby on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Marbs, nah that's another Andy G!

I visited a friends dad one time as he's big into home cinema and he had just built some speakers and i was interested to see what he had been up to. Suffice to say my jaw hit the floor when i heard them. He is a real craftsman and his builds looked like pro jobs.

He got the kits from a small one man outfit called IPL Acoustics - http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/

I thought what the hell and ordered the mains and centre kits. That is when all my troubles started!!! I have to say I'm not the best when it comes to DIY projects and these turned into more of a project than i bargained for. All in all they took me a year on and off to finish. Stopped for months in sheer frustration! :shock:

Never should have painted them...way too much trouble in the long run.

But...in the end i have pretty good looking black piano finish speakers which sound A...MAZING... :D

Would i do it again...dunno :?

Andy
Grooby

Postby vaporhat on Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Andy, very nice set-up you are running over there!

Which sound absorbing panels did you use and did you notice a huge difference with and without them?

Your black walls are a nice inspiration for me :) Every time I fire up the projector I am distracted by the glare off my ceiling, floor and walls. I just visualize all that reflected light making it's way back onto the screen :(
vaporhat

Postby Grooby on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi

The sound panels i ended up using were these: http://www.advancedacoustics-uk.com/highendaudio/Wall_Sound_Trap_Panel.html

I could source them locally which was main reason. They are a very well designed panel.

The best way i can describe how they work is by cupping your hands behind your ears when a movie is playing. The sound without the panels or my Audyssey processor being on is that the sound becomes much more defined/clear because you are cutting out reflections getting to your ears with your hands. With the panels in place the effect is much diminished because reflections are being absorbed before getting to me ears. With the Audyssey on as well i cannot hear the effect of reflections at all :D The sound is crisp and focussed. Hands in place sounds the same as when removed.

Painting the front of the room black, front wall and ceiling and having a black carpet at the front, just lies on top of my cream carpet has made a hell of a difference. The front of the room seems to disappear leaving just the screen with a really nice punchy picture. Perceived contrast has gained a very nice boost. Blacks are black. Even the speakers either side and below seem to vanish. I didn't want a bat cave and this is a nice compromise.

This picture shows better the black painted front...

IMG_0009.jpg

Andy
Grooby

Postby CaM on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 am

hi, does the Audyssey Processor work well?

thanks

CaM
CaM

Postby Grooby on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:58 pm

For me one of the best Home Theatre purchases i made...makes an incredible difference, with it off the soundfield just sounds flat and dull, press the red button and bang ur in the movie...great for music as well. I managed to get the pro installer kit with it as well so i can re-calibrate when i like. It was a bit expensive at the time but i have these mad impulse buys now and again...much like when i got the JVC projector...insane amount of money for me to spend, but as they say, you can't take it with you!
Grooby