Adding a scrollbar for text?

Help each other out

Adding a scrollbar for text?

Postby WannaTheater on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi,

Many of the descriptions for my movies are very LONG. I have a screen with a textbox that displays the movie description, artwork, etc. Since several of the descriptions are larger than the textbox, I often get to see only a portion of the description. Is there a way to put Up/Down scroll arrows on the right of my text box (when the whoe text does not fit in the box), so I can scroll down to read more?

Thanks!
-Greg
WannaTheater

Postby tswhite70 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:40 pm

WannaTheater - Not sure about the Arrows, seems like you can but I've never tried it. There is a scrolling option for text fields that might suit your needs (http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4374).

For my setup I actually made the movie description a navigable "button". On Enter I "SHOW" a couple hidden items - a solid, non transparent background that covers almost the entire screen; and another instance of the movie description sized for the background. You could do the same thing with an Overlay if you wanted. The nice thing about using hidden buttons is I don't need to define any events, but it probably depends a lot on your skin layout whether it make since.

good luck,
tsw
tswhite70

Postby asc99c on Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:24 pm

There is a command Xlobby -> Button next page (and prev page) which should accomplish what you want. Set an ID on the plot field and use this in the event.

I'm not sure if you can show / hide the buttons depending on whether the plot fits. In my setup, I have just a single button titled 'Scroll Plot' rather than up/down arrow buttons.
asc99c

Postby Flagg on Sat May 05, 2007 4:59 am

Could someone clarify this process for me?

I have the exact same issue - long plot descriptions.

I'd love to have down/up arrows to navigate them.

I have a text box on the page - with "category>movies>plot"

I give it an ID, add a button to the page, and I'm assuming I need to associate that button with the Button next page event - but how? Do I add an event in the F2 menu, or?

A little step-by-step would be appreciated!
Flagg

Re: Adding a scrollbar for text?

Postby WannaTheater on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:23 pm

I did it without buttons. If the tect field (perhaps the movie plot) is too long, then I have it set so when you click on the plot, it moves to the next block of text (but still on the same screen). From memory, I think this is how I did it:

1) Open Skin Editor (Pause/Break)
2) Create a text field on a screen (screen tab, enter "category>yourcategory>plot").. use your actual category and item you are going to print
3) On the "Default" tab, name the text box in the ID field (perhaps call it "Plot_Id") (make sure the "text" item is highlighted
4) Close the Skin Editor
5) Create a new event (F2)
6) Make the event call the Xlobby command BUTTON NEXT PAGE, filling in the name of your button from #3
7) Close the event editor
8) Open the Skin Editor
9) Go to the screen with your text block on it
10) Select your text block
11) Select Item Tab, Then Event Tab
12) Under Click Event, push Assign... then select the event you created in Step 6

That should do it. Now if a plot comes up that is too long for the text box, XLobby will diaplay it with some "..." at the end. Click on the text box, and it will go to the next page. It will only scroll forward, then start at beginning.

You couls do this in a similar fashon, using buttons for (forward and backward), etc
WannaTheater