One way to set up Multiple Movie Players HDDVD, Blu-ray, & D

title says it all

One way to set up Multiple Movie Players HDDVD, Blu-ray, & D

Postby lpg on Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:43 am

I needed to launch a movie player based on the format of the movie I was playing. I have a collection of DVD, Blu-ray and HDDVD movies. I cannot run Total Media Theater(It can play both Blu-ray and HDDVD) because it did not support Vista 64. So in order to play the latest Blu-ray titles I use PDVD8 and for the HDDVD tiltles I use PDVD 7.3. I did not want multiple play buttons so I came up with a way to use a specific player based on the format of the movie. You cna see what I did here in a mini-tutorial http://sites.google.com/site/lpgshtpc/Home/xlobby---setup-of-multiple-video-players

Thanks to all those who helped me figure this out.
Larry
lpg

Re: One way to set up Multiple Movie Players HDDVD, Blu-ray, & D

Postby rembetis on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write out the tutorial.

Do you control PowerDVD with a remote once a movie has started playing?
rembetis

Postby lpg on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:01 pm

I havent gotten that far yet. One of the things I am looking at is the latest version of zoomplayer. It can use the PDVD8 drivers now. If I can do that I will have full control of the player.
lpg

Postby lpg on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:03 pm

rembetis wrote:Thanks for taking the time to write out the tutorial.

I needed to write it out to remember what I did. My brain is getting too old and it leaks.
lpg

Postby rembetis on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:07 pm

lpg wrote:I havent gotten that far yet. One of the things I am looking at is the latest version of zoomplayer. It can use the PDVD8 drivers now. If I can do that I will have full control of the player.

Whoa... hold the phone! I did not know this. Looks like I have searching and researching to do. Did Cyberlink produce a version of PDVD8 that can read bluray form the harddrive?
rembetis

Postby lpg on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:52 am

With the magic of Slysoft's andvd hd you van rip a bit perfect image or as Grooby has done take the movies apart and put them in an iso format(searcg Grooby's posts there is a link to a guide on how to do this on doom9.org). There are a number of methods that can be found on doom9 but I looked for the simplest way to do this. I posted a blu-ray made easy post a little while ago where I explained what I did. I had trouble with daemon tools on vista 64 so I started using slysoft's virtual clone drive which was free.

Short answer is yes. I have ripped my whole collection of dvd's, Blu-rays, and HDDVD's to my multi-terabyte server. I have about 600 movies in my collection. All play fine on any computer in my home.
lpg

Postby rembetis on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:47 pm

lpg: are you using a single-display setup? I can't seem to get PowerDVD to open on my secondary monitor...
rembetis

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:40 am

Yea, I have not set up my touchscreen yet because I need to write a volume control for my audio card. My wife has a three monitor setup in her office. I will try it out.
lpg

Postby lpg on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:39 pm

rembetis wrote:lpg: are you using a single-display setup? I can't seem to get PowerDVD to open on my secondary monitor...

Check out Lars solution. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6624 I do not know if this will do the trick but givr it a shot. Larry
lpg

Postby rembetis on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for the heads up re: that thread, lpg. FWIW, I couldn't get the shift-close or lars's little app to work, but CMDOW (the last app mentioned by Scott) did work great, so long as I executed PowerDVD, waited 5000ms (less could work, 2000ms did not), and then ran CMDOW with the /mov argument.
rembetis

Postby lpg on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:34 am

Great. I saw a few others had chimed in wiith other solutions. It is especially good when they are free :D . Larry
lpg