How to: Display Image which changes

title says it all

How to: Display Image which changes

Postby memoe on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:23 am

Is there a way to display an image (jpg) which changes every 15 minutes? Is there any way to force an update? I could put this in a browser window, but I'd like to integrate the graphic(s) more directly onto my skin. Oh, and I'd prefer not to use a plugin.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions.
memoe

Postby badubo on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:06 pm

I don't think you can force an update... except with a plugin :wink:
badubo

Postby memoe on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:26 pm

OK, I'll bite. Which plugin?

Would it be any easier to diplay text that changes periodically?
Last edited by memoe on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
memoe

Postby bmblank on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:29 pm

I'm not sure what type of update you're talking about, but one of my favorite commands in the servers.txt is refresh:xx.
bmblank

Postby badubo on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:30 pm

Which plugin

unfortunately, we are speaking about a "new" plugin.

May be you can try XEvent to trigger an event every 15 minutes, but I don't remember if xlobby has already a command that force xlobby to redraw the screen.
badubo

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:07 am

badubo wrote:
Which plugin

unfortunately, we are speaking about a "new" plugin.

No we r not. xPerT can do that.

If OP gets over plugin-phobia, i can explain how... :)

EDIT: Actually now that im rethinking it might not be possible to put timer on loadpic variable in old version of xPerT (its however possible in my current version, which is too buggy to relise) but its possible even in old version to have pic reflect current (changed) file all the time. But in that case it will do reload on every screen update, not only in every 15 minutes, but it should be manageable unless there is lot of these pics on screen. Depending on your application that might be undesired though.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby memoe on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:05 pm

OK, let me just ignore the plugin issue for a bit. We can discuss pros and cons of plugins in another thread. Right now I'd like to refine my original question. I think my original post made everyone focus more on the "timer" part of the question.

Suppose I have a jpg (or 7) that get updated outside of XLobby. Here are the real questions:

1) If I put a jpg on an XLobby screen, will the refelct the changed jpg if I leave the screen and return? (I assume it won't, but does anyone know?)

2) Will the screen reflect the updated jpg if I leave XLobby and return? (I assume it will)

3) I could display the jpg file in a browser window, but then I wouldn't be able to make the integration on a screen seemless. (e.g. Can't make use of a transparent layer) Is this correct?

4) Would it be any easier to display text from a file that might change? (Can't think of any easy way to do this.)

Thanks in advance for clarification.
memoe

Postby dgemily on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:07 pm

memoe wrote:OK, let me just ignore the plugin issue for a bit. We can discuss pros and cons of plugins in another thread. Right now I'd like to refine my original question. I think my original post made everyone focus more on the "timer" part of the question.

Suppose I have a jpg (or 7) that get updated outside of XLobby. Here are the real questions:

1) If I put a jpg on an XLobby screen, will the refelct the changed jpg if I leave the screen and return? (I assume it won't, but does anyone know?)

2) Will the screen reflect the updated jpg if I leave XLobby and return? (I assume it will)

3) I could display the jpg file in a browser window, but then I wouldn't be able to make the integration on a screen seemless. (e.g. Can't make use of a transparent layer) Is this correct?

4) Would it be any easier to display text from a file that might change? (Can't think of any easy way to do this.)

Thanks in advance for clarification.

we spoke about it in the chatroom, so for others readers of this topic , the way was to use an event with the command "Xlobby:refresh image library"
dgemily

Postby m_ski on Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:02 pm

Why not make a new picture database (or 7) with the images in it and then refresh the database to get the images updated. You should then retain all of the transparency values and you won't have to reload all xlobby images every time (which may give you a noticeable pause).

You could easily write a few lines of code for XscriptNG plugin that will update the images every x minutes.
m_ski

Postby scottw on Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:04 pm

I did something similar with wanting to display webcam images that would refresh, you can find it here:
http://www.xlobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4294&highlight=webcam
scottw