Connecting PC to Touchscreen and Switching Amp

good place to post your setup and get feedback from others.

Connecting PC to Touchscreen and Switching Amp

Postby 414682 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:11 am

I am a novice at this but typically catch on pretty quick. I am confused about a couple of items.

First, I have XLobby on my main computer. So how do I get the picture to the tv screen? What if I have multiple rooms, each with a television. What about sound?

Does anyone know where I should start?

Stephen

Postby bmblank on Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:41 pm

In order to get it to the tv you'd need a video out or something to that effect. Basically you get it to the tv the same way you would if you were using a tv as your monitor.
As for getting xlobby on all the tvs, that's a little more difficult. If not difficult, more time consuming. What you need for that are one of two things.
A.) You'd need more than one video out. Whether it be more than one video card or a video card with multiple outputs, this can be kind of expensive and probably fairly time consuming to get it all set up the way you want.
2.) You'd need some sort of video distribution. I'd recommend this because it's fairly easy to set up, the downside, to do it properly is quite expensive. We have a dedicated video distribution box (I don't know the brand or anything) and so one of the replaytvs is channel 19, one is 21, the dvdplayer is 23 and we will make xlobby 25... It's a nifty setup.

Keep in mind these are only my opinions and what I know, which about xlobby isn't nearly as much as some others here. I'm sure I'll be corrected, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Ben
bmblank

Thanks

Postby 414682 on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:45 pm

Let me ask you a couple of more questions:

So you basically select the channel because, like channel 21, and that is your DVD player. You are using a modulator?

Second question: I rip my DVD's to my computer and my music files as well. One reason I wanted to get the computer on the TV was to be able to watch the movies from off the computer and be able to do this on multiple tv's. In the end, do you recommend a Medica Center like Xlobby or possibly just going with a movie serve seperates or music server. Seems like those would be the added expense if you already know how to use a computer.

One more questions: What about the technology such as a media streamer, like Dlink has. It streems movies, music from the computer to the tv. but you must purchase a box top for each tv. Would that be any better?

I want to do it right and cost is a minor issue. I can purchase some of this over several months.

Thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

Stephen