if it would be up to u...

Speak your mind

...format war would be won by

HD-DUD
17%
Blu-ray
33%
Neither. Future is purple. THD and chimera hybrids end the war.
No votes
Neither. I keep my (t)rusty DVDs.
17%
Neither. DL is future. BTW i voted the pirate party.
21%
I dont care. I just buy both.
13%

Total votes : 24

if it would be up to u...

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:57 am

...blu vs red...

EDIT: oops sorry guys... i forgot the obvious option:

What war? Blu won on the day PS3 came out... we r all just waiting somebody to have hearth to break the news for universal... 8)

Addendum for option 4: Im still pissed cause i had to buy LP-player cause they told me at the record store i cant have nightwish on edison cylinders...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Re: if it would be up to u...

Postby CiXel on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:57 am

While I prefer the technical specifications of Blu-Ray, the fact that it does not include a provision for a managed copy like HD DVD does concerns me for storing and accessing my movies as I would like. Of course, if a 300 HD changer came out, that would make life easier too ;0
CiXel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:33 am

CiXel wrote: Of course, if a 300 HD changer came out, that would make life easier too ;0

Oh boy that would be sweet! times like that are the ones i wish i was actually living in america... importing those in euroland costs fortune :( i hope they make euro model this time around...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby bmblank on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:01 pm

I'll keep goin with dvds.

"Oh, NO! The picture is only AMAZING when it could be Phenominal!!"

My eyes don't see in hd anyways. And considering the price of all that stuff it's just not worth it for a weekend warrior like myself.
bmblank

Postby CiXel on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Actually, if you run DVD's through FFDShow I'm amazed how well they hold up. You don't get all the crispness and detail of HD, but they certainly don't get mushy and soft. That's my current dilemma. I have 600 DVDs in changers, and when I ran out of room I started storing them on the HDD. Well the movies played off the hard drives now look kick ass compared to the Native Dvd's... makes me thing about dumping my changers all together.
CiXel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:39 pm

U could consider... running output of changer trough HTPC... thats what i do, allthough mine goal is not quality enchanchement (but fades between sources, getting "monitor" input for XL, zone distribution, and "after effect" subtitling), but as far as i understand people do that to improve pic quality too... (i guess computers can implement scaling and reverse telecine far better than cheap simple algorithms on iron)

EDIT: 300 per changer? is it that older sony, which can handle flippers too? man id really like to have changer for flippers...
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby CiXel on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:50 pm

Yeah, I bought a "TV Tuner" card with S-Video input that was compatible with D-Scaler, but I can't seem to get Dscaler it to upscale to the full resolution (only to 'full screen" mode). I also can't figure out how to let FFDshow work its magic over the Live Signal. I've given up in the short term, but every time I watch a movie from the changer I want to re-explore it. I've even considered swapping out my changers with the Sony firewire changers to avoid all the conversions. But A) I can't justify it, and b) it's tough to go from 2 300 disc changers, to 3 200 disc changers (Which I also find silly considering song makes a 400 tray for their stand alone DVD changers) Alas, I'll get to it... Eventually like everything else.

EDIT No... These are the Pioneers. I tried the Sony's at first, and the flipper function was nice, but the "Feature" that drove me nuts was that every time you turned on the changer, it would automatically start playing the last DVD that you played... whether you wanted to or not. This got particularly annoying on DVD's that started with the copyright warning in 3 different language, and you couldn't do anything to bypass them, and so you had to wait 30 seconds before you could do ANYTHING... including hitting stop.
CiXel

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:06 pm

CiXel wrote:I also can't figure out how to let FFDshow work its magic over the Live Signal.

Youll need to build your filter graph manually with graphedit. Insert your tv-cards filters at the source end and FFDshow toward the sink. Steven added support for manually constructed filtergraphs for those new preview versions, however i have not had change to test yet, how well this support is implemented. I think FFDshow actually uses code by dscaler project internally so i think u can forget dscaler alltogether, but if u wanna try it i think dscaler 5 is actually compatible with Dshow architecture.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:43 pm

Seems like war is far from won... latest news are that paramount has moved into HD-DUD camp...

Well it makes sense, anybody who actually has them on Blu, like yours truly, can see that their picture quality is huge embarrasement... but on HD-DUD, that will make no difference :D

Personally, i wont shed a tear for paramount... their library is total crap anyway, they represent mayby 3% of my DVD archives... if it would be any other studio, that might have some effect ongoing war, this will just delay demise of DUD and in longrun cost pretty penny for microsoft and DUD fanboys.
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby cmhardwick on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Ahhh, HD vs BlueRay .... Memories of VHS vs Beta ... and the winner was, VHS of course, even though the Sony Beta format was better (wider dynamic range, etc). It all came down to marketing, as it probably will with this as well.
cmhardwick

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:01 pm

wouldnt it be fun if universal would now switch to camp blu... piramount would have really hard time to keep format alive with their crappy inventory... u can only sell jack ryan collection so many times... they would need to finally start making good movies. :D

hmm :? i suppose they would need to change name of universal players to paranormal players :D

Well im totally against movie piratism cause i wanna support studios so they can keep making good (well atleast mediocre) entertainment... but piramount leaves us no choige... let them burn for this 8)
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:14 pm

AAArrgghh!!! somebody please tell me that godfather is not piramount :shock:

I cant believe people on other forums... crying over f*cking sucking transformers...

when nobody even mentions best title of all time (According imdb)

damn generation Z.

* bear gone to get a HD-DUD player *
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby Marbles_00 on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 pm

AAArrgghh!!! somebody please tell me that godfather is not piramount

Sorry to let you know...according to IMDB:

Company:Paramount Pictures

Maybe HD-DUD player may be in your best interest then. Personally...still to soon to jump on the bandwagon, and I'm not convinced that either is the "format" of the future. I read a super article here

An update to the above article (a year later) here

Another couple of good articles about HD-DVD's marketing shortfalls:

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editori ... ng-to-lose

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industr ... o-win.html
Marbles_00

Postby P3rv3rt B3ar on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:41 pm

Maybe HD-DUD player may be in your best interest then.

naah... i went trough available DUD movies last night... couldnt find 5 i would like to have... so i stick only with my trusty blu, atleast for now. i can wait 18 months for godfather, but can piramount wait for my money :D
P3rv3rt B3ar

Postby cmhardwick on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:56 pm

just get one of the new MEGA EXPENSIVE players that plays everything ... and then live in it, because you won't be able to afford a house/apartment afterwards :lol:
cmhardwick

Next