movie database can lose changes (disable item.xml files)

You find a bug! You post it here!

movie database can lose changes (disable item.xml files)

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi,

Recently i have been adding a few new films to my collection and i noticed that i have lost a lot of the edits that i have made to the movies db over the last few weeks...

At first i could no see much of a pattern, some were still there others were missing, then i realised what was causing it (at least i think this is whats causing it) -

when you update the movie database, it seems to pull the entry info from the item.xml file for each item in the db, i guess it does this for all of the entries in the db, not just any new ones?

my films are stored on a (normally) read only share on the network, the item.xml file in there is not in step with the data in the db, so when i update it incorrectly coppies over the old data.

some times i have the share set to editable (when i am uploading/moving films) if i happen to update when its editable, the item.mxl file is updated and when i update it doesn't lose my changes...

this is a pain - i spent ages loading in data for a ton of films then it was wiped out last night when i pressed the import button.

For me the item.xml files serve no purpose, they simply slow down xlobby when it saves the movie database, can we have a check box to enable disable them (it was mentioned as being on the to do list ages ago viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5909&p=43824&hilit=item.xml#p43824 )

I am sure i had a rant :) a long time ago about them and Wes again said that you could probably add a check box to control it, but the post seems to have vanished ;)

Cheers, Sean.
S Pittaway

Re: movie database can lose changes (disable item.xml files)

Postby wesblack on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Sean,

I am going to discuss this with Steven today and see what we can do. :)

Wes Black \ Calrad
wesblack

Postby S Pittaway on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Cheers :)
S Pittaway

Postby S Pittaway on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:27 pm

brilliant, the new build is back to lightning quick saves again!

i will have to try the aspect ratio box next..

i am not exagerating it was taking ages to save now it does it in a fraction of a second.

and my plots might stick this time ;)

Cheers, Sean.
S Pittaway

Postby stevenhanna6 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm

you should use the new backup feature in f2 that can backup everything or just your databases, I don't have it automated yet but still you should really use it since your no longer item.xml which served as a sort of backup for meta info.
stevenhanna6

Postby samsonlov on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:49 pm

I have also run into this problem - except that it happened after "grooming" 580 movies!!! :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry:
The problem is that XLobby doesn't know if changes to the db that are supposed to be saved to item.xml were in fact saved or not.
This can be very frustrating, and makes editing the DB very very time consuming, cause you have to manually open each item.xml file to check what changes were or were not made, or you have to keep doing a "delete and reimport" after every few changes - and with anything over 10,000 songs in a db this takes forever - and I (and others) have 30,000+ songs, so I'm suprised this hasn't been addressed sooner. - I hope this will get priority. Please bump Mantis issue #0000761

"When you add or edit data to a movie/album in F2, there should be some indication of whether or not xlobby has been able to successfully save the data.

This is a major problem because many of us use the db editor to groom our movie/music databases, and even small modifications like star ratings, etc. should be confirmed so that we don't waste a bunch of time making changes that are not being saved.

I have seen this happen when a drive is "read-only" or when a drive is "offline" - XLobby just lets you continue to make changes to the db, but you have no idea that there is a problem until you restart because XLobby keeps the changes in "memory", but upon restart, everything is gone.

Please Fix.
:)
samsonlov

Return to Bug Tracking / Reports